Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and help to improve
Ubuntu.

Can you explain what you mean by "melting into the center of the
screen"?  I'm having a hard time visualizing this.  Someone has assigned
this bug to the plymouth package, but the issue you describe doesn't
match any of the other plymouth bugs that we've seen so far.

** Package changed: plymouth (Ubuntu) => xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-openchrome (Ubuntu)

--
Boot Crashes in Lucid Linx
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in ubuntu.