Is this really a bug in xkeyboard-config, the keyboard configuration
files?

I don't think so. The layout works fine if used as the default and only
layout in gnome-keyboard-properties (except for the issue that the key
doesn't repeat).

The problem occurs if trying to switch between layouts in gnome-
keyboard-properties...the caps lock behaviour is not properly set in
this situation.

I find that if I start off with colemak as the default and switch to a
standard layout using the applet then the colemak caps lock behaviour
(as backspace) persists. If however I start off with a standard layout
and switch to colemak I get the strange bug where the caps lock key is
both caps lock and backspace at the same time.

Perhaps this is a bug in gnome-keyboard-properties.

--
colemak is broken
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.