Sebastien, I definitely see your point there, but let me observe that
the possibility to tweak touchpad behaviour this way is not a new
feature, it's a very old feature broken by the new g-s-d since in Karmic
and Lucid. And it's definitely not late to fix bugs, especially
regression bugs.

Alberto, thanks for the decision and your time and effort in fixing
this.

@Everybody: Is it a sound idea to open a new bug (with "wishlist"
priority, for sure) to include the patches Yuri has provided, or do we
from now on stick with setting up the driver and don't let g-s-d
interfere?

--
Touchpad: Action for middle and right click is reversed since jaunty
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.