Idea: I noticed that gnome desktop takes more than it used to in
previous releases. At first, I tought it was nautilus pre-loaded
instance that was slow to load. But now I think it trough, it is much
more possible that it is COMPIZ who takes so long to load, much more
than in previous releases (at least on my pc). With loosee bindings
enabled (which is required for nvidia chips as far as I know) may it be
possible that bindings to opengl libraries are screwed if nvidia-
settings are applied BEFORE compiz finish to load? That would explain
why my "rapid fix" that waits five seconds before calling nvidia-
settings --load-config-only works... and it would mean that maybe this
bug's related package is something else and not nvidia-settings by its
own. What do you think?

--
[Lucid] Loading nvidia-settings hurts compiz performance
which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in ubuntu.