Hi

To sum it up: I tried and failed.

Installing new kernel was OK (using sudo dpkg -i *.deb)
Installing new PPA (add-apt-repository), updating with added new Lucid
packages : was OK

When booting with new kernel, it stopped with message:
(process : 292) : Glib-Warning ** :get pwuid_r ( ) : failed due to unknown
user_id (0)
Recovery menu with new kernel did not work (everything blocked).

Trying to start with old kernel, same error message.
Recovery menu with old kernel: got some long and complicated error messages
about xorg versions, failed to startx

I decided to call it a day and I reinstalled a two days old Clonezilla Live
image and here I am.

Sorry for this.

Roger

--
[i915gm] X crashes minutes after resuming from suspend to RAM
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.