I have the same problem with an EliteBook 8440p (base model) with an i5
and the Intel GMA HD.  Black screen but the backlight is still on.  I
was successfully able to install Kubuntu with text mode but the problem
occurs when I try to boot Kubuntu.  Recovery mode returns the same
result, black screen.  This is a VERY frustrating problem.  I cannot
believe that it has not been fixed yet.

4+ months and no fix???

If I knew enough about Linux I would help but I don't.

--
[LUCID] Cannot install on eDP laptops such as HP Elitebook 2540p or 8440p
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.