I have seen this behavior as well in the patched X-Server, and I may
have also seen this with the original Maverick X-Server - though I'm not
sure about it.

I get this bug triggered only by using Synergy, but with almost 100%
consistency: I use Ubuntu 10.04 as a Synergy server, and 10.10 is the
client. If I move my mouse to the 10.10 screen and try to switch
languages by using ALT-SHIFT on the server keyboard, I get the faulty
behavior.

What happens is that gnome-settings-daemon - which is normally
responsible for switching layouts when you switch applications - starts
switching through all the layouts uncontrollably as if the switching
keys are stuck, and takes up 100% CPU. If you start typing anywhere,
you'd get characters from all layouts mixed together. At this point, if
you try to use the keyboard layout indicator in the session applet,
you'd see that its stuck and does not respond to requests to set the
layout. Finally, sending TERM to gnome-settings-daemon will not stop it
and you must use the KILL signal (-9).

I believe this is a gnome-settings-daemon, mostly as I can also cause
gnome-settings-daemon to spike to 100% CPU usage simply by sending it a
TERM signal while working normally. At which point the keyboard layout
indicator is again stuck and does not respond to actions, but using the
layout switching keys works normally and there is no cycling through the
layouts.

--
Keyboard layout change on hotkeys press instead of release and do not work well
with shortcuts