I installed ubuntu-netbook too, and I couldn't try Unity. I got a blank
screen (just the background), nothing worked: no panels, no unity-
launcher (I had to restart gdm from tty1). However, one time (and just
one time) I could click on the upper-left side of the screen (where is
supposed to be the main-menu button) and the "main menu" (I think it's
name is 'dash') appeared. I read in the release notes of Maverick that
Unity may not work on some ATI cards (I tried to Install Unity on Lucid,
with 3d acceleration working, and I got the same blank screen), so I
think that this is an Unity issue.

However, in the Ubuntu Desktop Edition 10.10 I still doesn't have usable
3d acceleration. Compiz is not working, glxgears shows nothing, and
Stellarium (3d planetarium) starts but shows nothing. All of these work
well on Lucid.

--
Unusable 3d acceleration on Maverick (ATI Radeon X1200)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.