This bug affects me too. On my MacbookPro 6-2, I see that syndaemon is running,
but it doesn't seem to be working as I would expect. Here's my ps output which
shows how syndaemon was started:
$ ps aux | grep syndaemon
michael   1827  0.0  0.0  29180  1072 ?        S    Oct30   0:20 syndaemon -i
0.5 -k

This is the standard setting before I made any changes. I think .5 is
enough of a delay, but I did a test and found that even when it was
supposedly "disabled", it still takes clicks from my touchpad:

Opened a terminal and right-clicked the title bar and chose: 'Always on top'
Entered the command:
syndaemon -i 0.5 -k

As I typed in another field, I saw:
Disable
Enable
Disable
Enable

I also randomly tapped on the touchpad as I was typing. I was able to
get the mouse click to register even when the sysdaemon said:
"disabled." It wasn't every time, but certainly enough to cause problems
during normal use.

I also tried changing the timeout from .5 sec to 10 sec, and repeated
the above experiment. It showed the same results: even though it stated
"Disabled", the mousepad continued to register clicks and reposition my
cursor (though not immediately.)

--
Touchpad should block while typing
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.