I installed the x86 server version of 10.4 LTS, but wanted a lightweight
graphical environment, so I also installed LXDE and XDM. The system was
connected to the internet through my local network and edge firewall, so
I also selected to have updates applied during installation. During the
setup I assigned passwords for both the root and normal user. Those
passwords had whitespace (specifically, ASCII 0x20) in them.

When setup completed and the system booted into graphical mode, I
couldn't login to either the normal nor root account until I switched to
an alternate text console, logged in and changed the password so there
was no whitespace. After changing the password of the normal user, I was
able to switch back to graphical mode and login to the normal user
account using the new password.

While in text mode, I had also gone into aptitude and applied all
updates available for all installed packages and checked for any broken
packages (there weren't any). I did try doing a graphical login after
applying all available updates. It wasn't until I used a password
without whitespace that login was successful.

** Affects: xdm (Ubuntu)

--
XDM elides whitespace in passwords
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/638137