Binary package hint: gnome-terminal

Reported this bug as a gnome-terminal issue but it actually affects my
entire X desktop.

My Ubuntu desktop mysteriously freezes until I press a key on the
keyboard or move the mouse. The entire desktop stops updating. The GNOME
clock stops ticking off seconds, cursors stop flashing in web browsers
or terminal windows. Simply moving the mouse brings everything back to
life.

The following bash command line shows that this issue is causing
processes to block. The gaps below where seconds are skipped are where I
saw the desktop freeze, waited a little while, and then moved the mouse
to bring everything back to life. The bash process was obviously frozen
during the gaps because it didn't print out the missing seconds after
the mouse movement.

I'm willing to help troubleshoot this issue further. (I'm a C++
programmer.) Note I have a more recent Catalyst driver installed because
bugs in the stock Ubuntu Catalyst package were causing me problems (with
development of a game).

$ while true; do { date; sleep 1; } done
Mon Nov  1 11:39:24 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:25 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:26 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:34 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:35 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:44 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:45 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:46 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:47 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:48 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:49 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:50 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:51 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:52 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:53 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:54 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:55 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:56 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:39:57 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:03 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:04 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:05 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:06 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:07 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:08 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:09 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:13 CDT 2010
Mon Nov  1 11:40:14 CDT 2010
^C

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: gnome-terminal 2.30.2-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-25.45-generic 2.6.32.21+drm33.7
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-25-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
Architecture: amd64
Date: Mon Nov  1 11:37:46 2010
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-terminal

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug lucid
--
desktop mysteriously freezes until keyboard or mouse input
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/669535