On 06.08.2009 00:58, Bryce Harrington wrote:
 > The one other major X.org component left to be merged in is the new -ati
 > stack, which includes updates to mesa and libdrm.  Sarvatt has been
 > tracking this upstream work in his packages on xorg-edgers, which I've
 > taken and massaged into a standalone PPA here:
 >
 >    https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/kms
 >
 > I'll put out a more general announcement about this once I've had a
 > chance to test the PPA myself on a few machines.  Meanwhile, if you give
 > it a go, email me your findings.
I have been using the edgers PPA for a while now and while at fist there
were quite a few regressions regarding 3D performance and suspend/
resume, they are all cleared up now - at least when working without KMS.
With KMS I still have performance regressions, but I have not re-tested
this in a while, so probably they are already gone as well.

You probably should also say, that without the new -ati stack, there
will be no KMS option for -ati in karmic.
Furthermore it seems like the new -ati stack will get R600+ 3D support
soon(seems to work already in some branches), so that might be an
adavantage...

Greets

Pavel