I was actually thinking to start a similar transition for trusty.

Best,
Angelos

On 09/20/2017 11:56 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for reviving an old discussion, but I was in need of a recent
gdal package today for travis. I have added this to my own ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~johanvdw/+archive/ubuntu/gdal

Angelos, Bas, do you have a list of gdal dependencies and the order in
which they need to be built? I'm thinking about uploading my packages
to ubuntugis/unstable.

Kind Regards,
Johan

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Ari Jolma <ari.jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
11.04.2017, 13:28, Bas Couwenberg kirjoitti:
On 2017-04-11 12:22, Ari Jolma wrote:
11.04.2017, 13:05, Angelos Tzotsos kirjoitti:
Hi Ari,

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libgdal-dev

This should do it.

No. I tried that before (found it in my .travis.yml file...) and it
pulls in older version 1.10.0.

You can install the 2.1.3 version explicitly with:

  sudo apt-get install libgdal-dev=2.1.3+dfsg-1~xenial2

It seems it did not even try this. Probably because it is precise?

But this will fail when the version is updated in the PPA.

Is the travis environment using Ubuntu xenial, and not an older LTS like
trusty or precise? It's probably trusty since that ships with GDAL 1.10.1.

It is precise. Trusty build environment is in beta.

For those older LTS releases the UbuntuGIS packages haven't been updated
yet. Depending on manpower and motivation we may be able to updated the
trusty packages in the near future.

It would save a lot of build time at least for me.

The reason for me is that many of my project use the GDAL Perl bindings and
for the tests I pull in the latest from CPAN, which is based on the latest
released GDAL.

Ideally the travis environment is upgraded to xenial for which the best
support is available and the default packages in Ubuntu itself are much more
current.

ok

Thanks,

Ari