What router are you using? It would be best if you could find the original toolchain that compiled your firmware if you want to link against the router's libraries. Presumably the manufacturer of the router should release the source code and accompanying toolchain. That's where first I would go, but maybe you've already pursued that route.

My next suggestion would be to create statically linked binaries. If there's something not quite right with linking against the embedded devices libraries, and the toolchain you created is suitable for that architecture and linux kernel version, that might give some better results. The binaries will be bigger, but you can strip them and compress with upx to squeeze out some of the size.

If you do go the route of static binaries, then I would use a suitable toolchain with the latest of uclibc-ng and gcc. That particular version of uclibc is very old, and maybe there is just an issue with it that has been addressed in uclibc-ng.  I've had better luck with stability  using newer versions of gcc and uclibc-ng.

If you have a relatively new off the shelf consumer router, something like asus, netgear ( arm or mipsel cpus) that you can load 3rd party firmware on, you might take a look at my project "tomatoware". You can compile from source directly on the router. It links against it's own included libraries, or you can create a static binary that is portable and non-dependant on the tomatware environment.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomatoware.69742/
https://github.com/lancethepants/tomatoware

Cheers,
Lance