Hi martin,

Martin Voss wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback. I don’t feel that this gives any other severe side effects either, besides incorrect values at boot and in /proc/meminfo (and free command). But we will of course change to the correct setting.

A couple of other details I have been thinking about (M5208EVB):

In the “ram.ld” file:

It says ORIGIN = 0x4002 0000 and LENGTH = 0x01e0 0000.

I agree that useable SDRAM starts at 0x4002 0000 since dBUG uses the first 0x20000. The physical end address of the SDRAM is 0x4200 0000 (32MB).

But shouldn’t the LENGTH in ram.ld be 0x4200 0000 – 0x4002 0000 = 0x01fe 0000?

Yes, it should be that to be precisely correct.
Fixed in CVS now.

This is all done in a much more configurable/flexible fashion in
the 2.6 kernel.

I guess this is just a minor issue since the used RAM in all practical situations at link time is not even near the maximum available.

Yeah, exactly. This lenght is only used as an end marker for the
kernel linking step. For the larger RAM boards it can be pretty
much any large numner, the kernel will always fit in the available
RAM.

In the “crt0_ram.S” file:

Since the first 0x20000 is used by dBUG, why is MEM_BASE 0x4000 0000 and not 0x4002 0000? Any shouldn’t MEM_SIZE be adjusted down with 0x20000 accordingly?

Well, no, MEM_BASE is designed to hold the real base of physical RAM.
For one thing this is also used as the base for the vectors. In 2.4
kernels the kernels base link address is taken as the first usable
address in RAM for uClinux.

Regards
Greg