Dear Steve

Thanks for your comments, When I start to add a new hardware (Modem Connection)
It wants me to set a provider for it, I don't know what i must do? I select
randomly the one, then i select my IP both manually and automatically, but in
both ways when i want to activate the device it makes some error,
Could you please help me about?

Regards
L. H.

Steve Witt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, L M wrote:

> Dear All,
>
>  in the folowing command and options what is the mean of local IP and
> remote IP, How can i set them and where?
>
>  pppd -detach crtscts lock : /dev/ttyS3 38400
>
>  Regards,

The local/remote IP addresses in this command are the IP addresses that
will be assigned to the ppp network interfaces (i.e. ppp0) on the local
and remote machine. On a machine, the ppp network interface requires an IP
address. There are various ways of assigning that address. One way is to
specifically assigned the IP address, which is what the above command is
doing. You would replace "" with the IP address that the
interface should have, such as "192.168.1.1". PPP also allows one side of
the connection to provide the IP address to the other side of the
connection, this is the  in your command. So this would be an
IP address, such as "192.168.1.2" that would be provided to the remote
machine (the machine on the other end of the serial cable/modem
connection).

There is a LOT of PPP configuration information available on the web. I'd
probably start with the PPP HOWTO that can be found at
. There are many, many ways to
configure a PPP connection depending upon what you are trying to do, and
this HOWTO explains an awful lot of that.