Philip Craig wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > The bridge-utils package is pretty old (0.9.6), so I looked into what
> > it would take to upgrade (the latest is 1.2, see
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=26089). I
> > encountered a problem building 1.2 (and posted a query to the bridge
> > mail list), but had no problem porting bridge-utils-1.1 into the
> > uClinux environment. The only "patch" to submit is the makefile that
> > deals with running configure and the romfs target.
> >
> > I also downloaded the original 0.9.6, and discovered the uClinux-dist
> > package contains several changes that I can't sort out. I suspect some
> > changes are fix bugs, but other changes add or modify the original
> > package's behavior ("brctl show ANY").
>
> The changes I can see are:
>
> 1. Makefile changes to get it to build.

I attached a 'makefile' patch which runs autoconf and configure in
order to create Makefile. Up through bridge-utils-1.1 they provided
'configure', but bridge-utils-1.2 expects you to create 'configure'
using autoconf. This is according to a response I got from the
developer to a question I posted on the bridge-utils mail list.

You'll note CONFOPTS changed slightly, and I changed the romfs target
to install the executable into /usr/sbin, which I believe is the
typical installation directory. It's fine with me if you want  to
change this back to /bin.

One thing to consider is the size of the executable seems to have
jumped between 1.1 and 1.2. Here are the sizes when built for my
uClinux i386 target:

  12164     704      24   12892    325c bridge-utils/brctl/brctl
  14110     440      28   14578    38f2 bridge-utils-1.1/brctl/brctl
  17888     488      24   18400    47e0 bridge-utils-1.2/brctl/brctl

This makefile works with versions 1.1 and 1.2, but if you use it for
1.1 the distclean target I created should be modified to NOT delete
'configure'.

> 2. Change 'brctl show' to take an argument, with 'brctl show ANY' giving
> the old behaviour. This is just a way to show a single bridge. I don't
> think the user interface to it matters. It would be more logical to just
> make the bridge argument optional, rather than specifying ANY to show
> them all. Or add a new command to show a single bridge.
>
> 3. Only call br_make_bridge_list() for 'brctl show'. This is a
> performance enhancement for large numbers of bridges.
>
> 4. Allow 'brctl show' to show up to 1024 bridges, rather than 32. This
> change may be buggy, the CVS comment says it still only displays 62. I
> wonder if there is a way to make this handle any number.

libbridge/libbridge_private.h defines MAX_BRIDGES and MAX_PORTS, both
of which are set to 1024.

> > So what's the procedure for moving forward? Does this group know the
> > history behind the uClinux changes, and whether current projects still
> > rely on them?
>
> We want to keep these changes. No objections to cleaning them up though.
> And we should submit them upstream this time (except for some of the
> Makefile changes). If you only want to do the Makefile changes, that's
> fine, we can sort the rest out.

Excellent, thanks!