Jivin Jamie Lokier lays it down ...
> David McCullough wrote:
> > > I read enough of a rumour that Python doesn't run on MMU-less uClinux
> > > that I didn't bother to try.
> > >
> > > I guess it might work on MMU-less architectures with FDPIC-ELF,
> > > and of course uClinux tends to include MMUs now.
> >
> > Actually,  it has little to do with the executable format and more to do
> > with the use of fork IMO.
>
> I was more thinking of all those loadable modules.  Without FDPIC-ELF
> there's no dlopen() and no (useful) shared libs.

Yeah, there is that issue ;-)

> > The chance of a complex shell/scripting language using fork in an
> > incompatible to !MMU way is high in my view.  For example, bash, perl.
> >
> > If the scripting supports backgrounded execution and/or process control
> > I figure it's even more likely to be broken for !MMU.
> >
> > As usual, search the code for fork,  if it does much more than the
> > acceptable fork/exec,  expect to have fun making it work ;-)
>
> Well, yes, but fork is typically invoked from a script interpreter if
> you actually call fork() or system() or `backquotes` from your script.
> You could just not do that.  I believe even Python has rudimentary
> thread support :-)

I meant in the python source.   Lots of the functionality that seems
harmless in the python scripts you write may actally do bad things within
the python source itself.

There's a good reason that only sash and the minix shell work on !MMU,
and the initially the minix shell needed a fair bit of work to make safe
on !MMU :-)

Cheers,
Davidm

--