Greg Ungerer wrote:
> Hi Jamie,
>
> On 12/17/2009 11:45 PM, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> >Greg Ungerer wrote:
> >>Did you want me to pick this up and apply the the m68knommu.git
> >>tree for inclusion in 2.6.34?
> >
> >Would it not be worth holding off mainlining it until there's a
> >userspace m68knommu NPTL, just in case it turns out something
> >important was overlooked?
>
> My thinking is that if it is present (and has a good chance
> of working given its derivation from m68k)

There are some kernel API differences needed between arm-nommu and
arm-mmu, due to the inability to map helper functions (atomic cmpxchg,
barrier, get_tls) at fixed virtual addresses, so I wouldn't be
surprised if the same applies to m68k.

> I would of course test it on a bunch of targets, but if it doesn't
> break anything as it stands today is it really a problem?

Only if someone may run a program which works on a later kernel on an
older kernel, and would like it to fail or switch to LinuxThreads,
rather than behave wrongly on the intermediate kernels, if there's an
API problem.

> then it may encourage someone to do the NPTL work needed in uClibc
> sooner than later.

That's a good reason.  I was thinking perhaps anyone doing m68k-nommu
NPTL work would apply the available NPTL-kernel patch to their kernel,
but perhaps I am naive about such things :-)

-- Jamie