Hi Joshua,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 4:52 AM, Joshua Stokes <joshua.sto...@me.com> wrote:

> I am basically trying to compile a uclinux distribution that is installed on
> STBs, specifically the Fetch TV uclinux. The firmware version is 2.01278 and
> the required files are located at http://www.fetchtv.com.au/opensource
>
> Can someone please shed some light on this situation

Yes, I'll try.  You'll have to go ask Fetch TV for instructions.  It's
unlikely that anyone here would even know what processor that device
runs.

You see, a cross-compiler is to build code for a different instruction
set architecture than what you're running it on.  Most likely,  you're
doing the compilation on an x86-64 machine. And the Fetch TV hardware
could be anything - m68k, ARM, MIPS to name but a few.  Google is a
good start for basic research. So is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_compiler

Just because a company uses an open source software package doesn't
mean that the community is responsible for supporting that product. In
most cases we don't even know the software was used, how or whatever.

It's clear from the manufacturer's web-page that they're making a
minimal attempt at complying with the letter of the licenses, but they
don't actually have any interest in people working with the software.
More than likely, once you have the software working, you're going to
be stymied by the lack of a host of closed-source software you don't
have access to.

If you have an actual question about uclinux, people here are happy to
help you. If you have questions about Fetch TV or their use of
uclinux, no one here can help you and likely won't want to anyway.  If
you have questions about general embedded development or other general
subjects, if you get an answer, it's going to be RTFM.  So far what
you've asked is a cross between general knowledge and FetchTV specific
info. No one here can help with that much.

In short - before embarking on whatever it is you're doing, you might
want to do a little research.

Good luck,

- Steve