From: Shane Wegner
To: Roy Nasser
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED] '
Sent: 08/10/2000 22:15
Subject: Re: UdmSearch: Question: way to compile for more performance

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 06:45:07PM -0300, Roy Nasser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can see that it indexes the documents, but it sometimes stalls for
over 2
> minutes on a single URL... We have about 58,000 pending URLs, and it
really
> takes a long time to index...

How many URLs do you have in the database?  2 minutes is a
bit long but try adding an index on url.next_index_time.

Indexer if I recall correctly does select * from url where
next_index_time<=unix_timestamp() limit 32;

So every 32 URLs you will get a pause if you have many URLs
in the database.  I don't have it indexed but only have
74,000 URLs being indexed.  The pause is about 10 seconds
or so every 32 entries.

Anyways, you can give that a try and see if it helps.

> Is there a special compilation option, or should i pass a special
parameter
> to the indexer for it to fetch like, 5 or 10 URLs simultaneously?

Well there may be gcc options which could improve your
performance.  The various -m options come to mind but from
my work with UDMSearch, it's pretty fast and is generally
the database which is the bottleneck.

Cheers,
Shane

--