> > The only one disadvantage is that it will not work on huge
> > search engines with millions documents. There is a limit on total
> > file number on file system in most unixes.
> > For example, my 30G /usr partition on FreeBSD box can create about 8
> > mln
> > files.
>
> is that a per file system limit or per unix box limit?

Generally it's a limitation with how the file system has been created. Different
parameters when creating the filesystem will yield different results. So the number of
available inodes is really dependent on the parameters with which you create thge
filesystem. On Linux it's dependent on parameters for block_size, bytes_per_inode, etc.

-- Dan
Daniel Hanks
Network Administrator
Web Services Group

About
The Human Internet

<http://about.com/>
1253 N. Research Way, Suite Q-2500.  Orem, UT 84097
ph: 801-437-6023    fax: 801-437-6020
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]