Hi Goran,

Here is another installation issue that I  encountered today while
installing XVM Proxy server. Following is the snip from the
/var/adm/messages file. Initially I thought that pre-installed Postgres DB
may be an issue, un-installed all those packages and even then problem stays
the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing ipmiflash - Utility for flashing Sun x64 firmware over IPMI as
<ipmiflash>

## Installing part 1 of 1.
/opt/ipmitool/bin/ipmiflash
/opt/ipmitool/share/man/man1/ipmiflash.1
[ verifying class <none> ]
Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.

Installation of <ipmiflash> was successful.

Executing job: jobs/3installPostgres.pl --install
Stopping the postgres database
Initializing the database
ERROR  : Could not start the db
ERROR  : Cannot start the db
Database initialization failed: 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind regards,
Zia-ul-Hassan

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Cvetanoski, Goran <goran.cvetano...@anz.com
> [...]

>       - The default maximum heap size is half of the physical memory up to
>       a physical memory size of 192 megabytes and otherwise one fourth of the
>       physical memory up to a physical memory size of 1 gigabyte.
>       For example, if your machine has 128 megabytes of physical memory,
>       then the maximum heap size is 64 megabytes, and greater than or equal
> to 1
>       gigabyte of physical memory results in a maximum heap size of 256
> megabytes.
>       - The maximum heap size is not actually used by the JVM unless your
>       program creates enough objects to require it. A much smaller amount,
> termed
>       the initial heap size, is allocated during JVM initialization. This
>       amount is at least 8 megabytes and otherwise 1/64 of physical memory
>       up to a physical memory size of 1 gigabyte.
>       - The maximum amount of space allocated to the young generation is
>       one third of the total heap size.
>       - The updated heap configuration ergonomics apply to all collectors
>       except Concurrent Mark-Sweep (CMS). CMS heap configuration ergonomics
> remain
>       the same.
>       - Server JVM heap configuration ergonomics are now the same as the
>       Client, except that the default maximum heap size for 32-bit JVMs is 1
>       gigabyte, corresponding to a physical memory size of 4 gigabytes, and
> for
>       64-bit JVMs is 32 gigabytes, corresponding to a physical memory size of
> 128
>       gigabytes.
>

> Regards
> Goran
> --
> *[image: Oracle logo] <http://www.oracle.com/global/au/index.html>*
>
> *Goran Cvetanoski | *Senior* Field Support Engineer*
> *Oracle** Systems Support*
>
> *Oracle Australia Pty Ltd*
> 417 St. Kilda Road, Level 4 | Melbourne, VIC, 3004
> Office: +61 3 8616 3887 | Fax: +61 3 8616 3887
> Mobile: +61 (0)416 446 223
>
> [image: Bottom Signature] <http://www.oracle.com/global/au/index.html>
>

> "This e-mail and any attachments to it (the "Communication") is, unless
> otherwise stated, confidential,  may contain copyright material and is for
> the use only of the intended recipient. If you receive the Communication in
> error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete the
> Communication and the return e-mail, and do not read, copy, retransmit or
> otherwise deal with it. Any views expressed in the Communication are those
> of the individual sender only, unless expressly stated to be those of
> Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited ABN 11 005 357 522, or any
> of its related entities including ANZ National Bank Limited (together
> "ANZ"). ANZ does not accept liability in connection with the integrity of or
> errors in the Communication, computer virus, data corruption, interference
> or delay arising from or in respect of the Communication."

<<graphics1>>

<<graphics2>>