Is 'The EastAfrican' on a 
Hate Campaign Against Uhuru?

I HAVE been reading The EastAfrican since its inception in 1994, and I have always respected it as a serious paper. But over the past few weeks, I have developed second thoughts about it.

I have been wondering whether it is degenerating into another "yellow paper," or whether it has become a wing of the opposition National Rainbow Coalition. If yes, why didn't the paper prepare me as a reader, so that if I do not support Rainbow then I don't feel cheated? 

Ordinarily, there is nothing wrong with a newspaper supporting a certain ideological position, for any newspaper espouses certain values. Again, there is nothing wrong in any paper criticising a candidate. But then there is a big difference between supporting values or criticising a candidate and waging hate campaigns against individuals and political parties. 

The last three editions of The EastAfrican leave no doubt in the mind of the reader that the paper is prosecuting a campaign against Uhuru Kenyatta, Kanu's presidential candidate. For the first time in a long time, I agree with President Moi when he accuses sections of Kenya's press of bias. Indeed, the tone of this paper's campaign gives serious cause for concern. 

What is this coincidence that when the lead story is not linking Uhuru with weird and backward sects, it's about fictitious divisions in the Kenyatta family or Uhuru's campaign team. Plainly speaking, this is petty political gossip. As a serious reader, I deserve better than this. If I want political gossip, the alternative press serves me better. 

FIDELIS KINTU
Nairobi

       The Mulindwas communication group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in anarchy"

Reply via email to