From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ugnet_: Burundi rebels must agree a ceasefire - S.Africa
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:15:16 EST

A little arm twisting by ZUMA haa!!!...we shall see if this tactic will
bring peace to Burundi!

Matek
Burundi rebels must agree a ceasefire - S.Africa

By Manoah Esipisu and Wangui Kanina

PRETORIA/DAR ES SALAAM, Nov 26 (Reuters) - Burundi's main rebel faction must
not be allowed to hold the troubled country to ransom and should be compelled
to agree a comprehensive ceasefire, South Africa's deputy president said on
Tuesday.

Deputy President Jacob Zuma, chief mediator in the conflict, told Reuters
Television in an interview in Pretoria he wanted a deal agreed before a
regional summit next week, and failure would lead to heads of state taking
"appropriate action."

Burundi's warring factions were due to make a fresh effort in Dar es Salaam,
Tanzania, on Tuesday to settle outstanding issues on a ceasefire package.

Burundi's civil war pits rebels from the ethnic Hutu majority against the
Tutsi-led army and has claimed an estimated 300,000 lives, according to
United Nations figures.

Talks aimed at ending the nine-year war hit a wall after President Pierre
Buyoya and a main rebel faction -- the FDD, led by Peter Nkuruzinza -- failed
to reach a deal by a November 7 deadline set by regional leaders. Talks were
extended for a further two weeks.

Burundi's other main rebel group, the Palipehutu-FNL, has declined to meet
the government, but mediators say it has been in contact with them.

"You cannot hold the country hostage. They (rebels) have to be compelled to
sign," Zuma said, adding that even though the rebels were heavily armed, they
remained in the minority.

Zuma said a South African protection force would remain in Burundi for as
long as the African Union wished, but did not say if their mandate would be
strengthened.

"I am optimistic that there will be an agreement, but if there isn't one, the
heads of state will take appropriate action," Zuma said. "Then we've got to
go to the (U.N.) Security Council because we need international support for
the process."

Fighting has intensified in recent weeks after the warring factions failed to
agree a ceasefire for the duration of talks.

Zuma was flying to Tanzania on Tuesday "to add impetus to the discussions"
and would stay until the summit.

"WE CANNOT UNDERMINE PEACE PROCESS"

"We cannot afford to prolong or delay the process. The Arusha process
(initial agreement) gave Burundians three years to finish everything -- form
a transitional government and integrate the army. We cannot undermine that
process because of the two groups," he said.

He rejected suggestions his mediation was biased in favour of the government
of Buyoya.

The government and the rebels had agreed on several proposals in a draft
ceasefire agreement such as disarmament, demobilisation and destruction of
excess weapons, establishment of a new armed forces with equal representation
between the two ethnic groups and how to deal with prisoners of war.

But the factions could not agree on the issue of withdrawal of all foreign
forces from Burundi and the withdrawal of Burundian forces from foreign land,
mediators said.

The new round of talks will look at proposals that the army moves back to
barracks while other armed groups assemble in designated areas, all under
U.N. supervision.

Zuma said negotiators would discuss a proposal that foreign forces and
mercenaries leave Burundi, but did not identify them.

A new Burundi government sharing power between Hutus and Tutsis was
inaugurated last year but it has struggled to defeat escalating rebel
attacks, road ambushes and kidnappings.

11/26/02 03:58 ET