Monitor editorial and fellow netters:

In the above headed Monitor news file (read below),  Prince Wasajja said that Minister of State for Defence Ruth Nankabirwa called him over the issue and reportedly said: "That man who is carrying out arrests in Kiboga is a thief. We at one time arrested him in Masindi. I am surprised that Kibira is out of prison and arresting people."

I have the following questions to Nankabirwa:-

1.  What is a thief who was behind bars doing in an operation that was blessed by the President of Uganda  to quell thuggery or robberies? Who released him without the knowledge of the Police and without normal judicial functions or procedures?

2. How would this re-assure citizens considering that Capt. Kibira did not definately recruit himself in Operation Wembley? The top cream within ISO must be aware of their man who has the licence to arrest at will?

3.  Is it now so that security organs like ISO are now at liberty to maraud peace loving citizens to the extent that even a whole minister of defence finds herself powerless and had to resort to crying wolf to Prince Wasajja?

4. Who is who and who does what in the ISO hierarchy? From whom do they derive their directives and powers that makes them the "flying operatives" above the law and beyond the reach of even ministers?

Omar Kezimbira

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- p;ISO release Buganda prince

By Badru D. Mulumba
Internal Security Organisation (ISO) last evening released a Buganda prince who went missing on Saturday.
Prince William Tebandeke, who went missing in Kiboga, was yesterday found at ISO headquarters on Clement Hill Road in Kampala.
Last evening, Prince Dickson Wasajja said on phone that Tebandeke was released after they visited the ISO headquarters.
Wasajja said that Minister of State for Defence Ruth Nankabirwa called him over the issue.
Nankabirwa reportedly said, “That man who is carrying out arrests in Kiboga is a thief. We at one time arrested him and detained him in Masindi. I am surprised that Kibira is out of prison and arresting people.”
Wasajja said that Nankabirwa was reportedly referring to one Capt. K. Kibira, the Wembley co-ordinator in Kiboga.
Tebandeke was put in a car to take him back to Kiboga at about 6:00 p.m., according to Wasajja.
Wasajja said that Tebandeke would make a statement at Kiboga police station.
Tebandeke, a farmer, was Saturday picked from Kiwaguza village, Kiboga district, by suspected ISO agents led by one Sempa. His whereabouts remained unknown until yesterday. (See, Buganda Prince Goes Missing, (The Monitor, Jan.21).

January 21, 2003 23:10:18

Return to index