By Nabusayi L. Wamboka

800,000 people threatened in the 'worst humanitarian
crisis in the history of northern Uganda'

A hungry man is an angry man? Maybe not; he could be
just a dead man. And soon the country will wake up to
find over 800,000 of its people starved to death in
what the World Food Programme describes as the worst
humanitarian crisis in the history of northern Uganda.

In northern Uganda now, they are not merely under the
threat of the ruthless Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance
Army, but if they are alive, chow could be the hardest
thing to come by.
Benson Opiyo, a 16-year-old boy, was abducted by the
LRA two years ago together with his four brothers and
their father while they where out searching for food
"I was severely beaten. One of my brothers tried to
escape but they caught him and killed him. They also
killed my father. You cannot be afraid in the bush. I
saw a girl in the bush who was afraid. The [rebel]
soldiers brought a dead body and told her to smear the
blood from the body all over her own body to prevent
her from being afraid of dead things," Opiyo said.

The desperate search for food by the displaced people
in northern Uganda results into 20 abductions daily,
according to Fred Olaa, the WFP Programme Officer in
the region. He said it is extremely dangerous for
people to venture outside the camps in search of food.
The displaced populations from the districts of Gulu,
Kitgum and Pader have been driven from their villages
and are now living in 60 densely populated improvised
camps, where the living conditions are very poor. Even
here, they continue to be terrorised by LRA rebels and
are regularly victims of brutal attacks.

WFP estimates that 70 percent of the local population
in the three districts has been displaced as a result
of the prevailing insecurity. "This is the worst
humanitarian crisis since the fighting began in
northern Uganda more than fifteen years ago. We had
expected things to improve in 2002, but instead the
numbers have continued to increase and the displaced
people have lost both the last two harvests due to
insecurity," said Ken Noah Davies, the WFP Country
Director.

According to Davies, the agency requires 108,000 tons
of food commodities valued at US$ 59 million to feed
over 800,000 IDPs and 150,000 refugees from January to
June 2003. Currently, the country office is facing a
pipeline shortfall of 87,329 tons of food commodities
from January to July. "People are living like animals.
They don't have a life - they simply exist. They do
not have the bare minimum even to buy clothes. The
situation is very bad. If we stop providing people
with food, they will die," Charles Uma, chairman of
the Gulu District Disaster Management Committee said.

This may be beyond the means of WFP as it is facing
serious funding problems. In October last year, WFP
was forced to reduce the food rations to 70 percent of
the daily food requirements of IDPs. As of January
this year, the agency was forced to completely suspend
distribution of cereals to IDPs in northern Uganda and
to reduce cereal rations for refugees by 50 percent
due to the serious cereal pipeline shortfall. "Uganda
has the potential for local procurement of cereals and
pulses at competitive prices if cash resources are
pledged by donors. Donors are urgently requested to
pledge resources to meet the urgent resource
requirements and to prevent hunger and serious
malnutrition among IDPs and refugees," Davies said.

WFP is the only humanitarian agency supplying food in
Northern Uganda. Last year it was forced to suspend
food distribution to IDPs from June 19 to July 15.
This coupled with displacements; general disruption of
economic activity and lack of access to fields
constrained the food acquisition strategies of IDPs.

Davies said government last year contributed Shs 600
million to avert the crisis through the office of the
prime minister to help communities that are not
largely accessed by WFP and that it had pledged
another 400 million for the first quarter of 2003.
"Donors would like to see a greater contribution of
government. This will go a long way to convince the
donors that it is committed to this cause," Edward
Kallon, the WFP deputy country director said.

According to Davies, only money talks and it is the
only way the food will get faster to those who need it
most. "Uganda has a surplus of food but it is not
free. We need cash to get it and that is where as WFP
we come in. We have been going around the country
buying from farmers and sometimes working with farmers
associations. The only problem is that farmers
associations are not very organised," he said.
Currently WFP is the biggest buyer of locally grown
food.

While many people are all praying for the guns in
northern Uganda to fall silent, the hunger that
threatens to wipe out victims of Kony war may be worse
than the war itself.

       The Mulindwas communication group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in anarchy"

Reply via email to