EU leaders agree
Peacekeeping mission a first
By Thomas Fuller (IHT)
Thursday, June 5, 2003


BRUSSELS: In what was described as an important political step for European defense cooperation, the 15 governments of the European Union agreed Wednesday to send a joint peacekeeping force to Congo to help contain ethnic violence.

The 1,400-member force, which was authorized by the United Nations last Friday, will mark the first time that the European Union carries out a military operation without help from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. It is also the first EU military operation outside of Europe.

"This is politically very important for the European Union," Javier Solana, the Union's foreign policy chief, told reporters in Brussels.

Solana said France would lead the operation and that "the majority" of other EU members would contribute.

But it was unclear Wednesday what kind of role these other European countries would play in the French-led initiative. A German government spokesman told Reuters that Berlin would not send combat troops because of commitments elsewhere. No other EU countries had announced their plans as of late Wednesday.

Solana described the mission as an emergency "bridging" operation designed to help fill a gap in UN scheduling. "It will have a limited mandate, both geographically and timewise," Solana said. "Our objective is to help stabilize the situation."

Formal EU approval of the operation will take place Thursday, Solana said.

France plans to send 1,000 peacekeepers for the mission, which is scheduled to end Sept. 1, according to Michele Alliot-Marie, the French defense minister. Diplomats say other countries outside the EU may also contribute troops, perhaps including Canada and South Africa.

"The French are keen to maximize the European side of this force," said Steven Everts, a defense expert at the Center for European Reform in London.

The first peacekeepers are expected in the city of Bunia this weekend and are taking over from an existing force 750 UN peacekeepers from Uruguay.

The EU troops will be backed by French Mirage 2000 aircraft as well as mechanized units.

The European Union is currently debating its future plans for defense and foreign policy cooperation at the Union's constitutional convention; the Congo mission will provide a real-life test case for this closer defense ties.

The EU sent about 400 peacekeepers to Macedonia in March, but that mission included planning and logistical support from NATO.

Earlier this year the Union said its "rapid-reaction force" of 60,000 troops was ready for peacekeeping and humanitarian operations.

A spokesman for the EU's head office said the Congo mission involved "considerable risks" for the EU force. "The situation is anything but safe or stable at the moment," he said.

            The Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in anarchy"
            Groupe de communication Mulindwas
"avec Yoweri Museveni, l'Ouganda est dans l'anarchie"

Reply via email to