Bush says Taylor must go, won't take no for answer

WASHINGTON, July 5 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush said Liberian President Charles Taylor must step down and that the United States was "not going to take 'no' for an answer," according to remarks released by the White House on Saturday.

The American president, who visits Africa next week, has urged Taylor to leave Liberia immediately, but Taylor says he wants to see international troops on the streets first in case his soldiers and rebels run amok.

Asked in an interview with Voice of America what he would do if Taylor refused to comply with U.S. demands, Bush said: "You know, I suspect he will, and so, therefore, I'm an optimistic person. I'm not going to take 'no' for an answer."

"I have made up my mind there needs to be stability in Liberia, and one of the conditions for a peaceful and stable Liberia is for Mr. Charles Taylor to leave the country," Bush said in the interview, which took place on July 3 and was released by the White House on Saturday.

07/05/03 13:19 ET