Omw Ssemakula, 

I did not mean to say/imply that you are naive in any way, it is your
sophistication and grasp of issues Ugandans that is cause for the
bemusement I referred to.

I shall welcome your futher exposure of the villain that Obote is,
using whatever sources you select; I am sure there is no shortage of
uncharitable remarks about him. I am still perplexed that on Obote
Ibingira is to you just a short step from sainthod! Yet you dodge the
question of whether Obote's view of Ibingira's activities at the time
would be equally authoritative. Unlike you, I am unable to characterise
either of those two sons of Uganda or any of their actions as stupid,
even less likely, "too stupid", not that I doubt you are eminently
qualified to do so. I shall, therefore rely on your judgement.

And should you, in your wisdom, decide that Obote is my hero, and that
it's my role to defend him, I shall not disappoint you. I know you are
aware of what you are asking me to do, so spill the beans!

Best regards,

Yoswa

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/16/03 10:09PM >>>

Mr. Dambisya,
Your bemusement is hardly at stake here. The Baganda have a saying that
"Gwe wabbanga naye, bwakusula e manju tewebaka". Loosely translated:
'when your former co-thief visits with you, you do not sleep easily.'
The late Grace Ibingira was not your regular UPC mindless/ignorant
minion. Rather, as Secretary-General of the UPC,  a Cabinet Minister,  a
trained attorney at law and legal adviser to the UPC, he was very much
an insider who was privy to a great deal that really went on in the
party -- not just what was dished out for the gullible public.
As such, one can expect him to be an authoritative source of the UPC
internal/private machinations, precisely because he fell out with Obote
-- a factor the latter seems to have been too stupid to fathom the
import of. It probably came as a rude surprise to Obote, that Ibingira
had been "taking notes" all the time he was with him.
Now, I am not so naive as to fail to realize that as a former victim of
Obote, Ibingira might have an axe to grind. 
What Ibingira did was "to spill his guts", "to sing" about facts he had
intimate knowledge of , having been such an important heavyhitter in the
party. 
Calling Ibingira's changed loyalties from the UPC & Obote "bias" is not
only laughable, it does zilch to undermine the facts he presented in the
court public opinion. 
Further, it is accepted practice in courts of law for the prosecution
to get accomplices to testify against each other.
If you have anything to say about it in defence of your hero, you had
best address the facts Ibingira presented -- more of which you can
expect to see here.
Ssemakula
ps: Later, I'll get to what Mandela had to say of Obote in the pre-OAU
days. Start preparing for the defence of your hero ... 
A minor correction, the Muganda man who educated Obote, Nekyon, etc in
Lango after Obote's biological father died of leprosy was Nalwemanyidde
of the Nseenene clan, not Nalwerimidde as I had posted earlier. It has
been said, that he sort of semi-adopted them, but that is another
story.

----Original Message Follows---- 
From: "YOSWA DAMBISYA" 
Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
To: , 
CC: 
Subject: ugnet_: Re: [FedsNet] Part 111 BUGANDA CRISIS 1964 --
PhantomArms of the 1960s 
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:10:59 +0200 

Ndugu Ssemakula, 

While I am enjoying these exchanges of yours regarding our not so 
distant political history, I am bemused by the fact that you would 
characterise as "authoritative" anything said by Grace Ibingira of 
Milton Obote and his times. Evidently, the two differed in very 
fundamental ways; one was imprisoned by the other; each felt betrayed
by 
the other. Supposing Milton Obote were to write about Grace Ibingira
(as 
I believe he did during some exchanges with a London Friend), would you

accept his writings/sayings as authoritative on said subject? 

I've just got hold of Kanyeihamba's recent book, I intend to go through

it when time allows. Pinycwa's foreword seems to prepare the reader for

yet another biased account of Uganda's constitutional and political 
developments. Where, then, does one turn for unbiased, objective and 
authentic reading on Uganda? 

Best regards, 

Yoswa 

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. 

Reply via email to