Pure, unadaltered poppycock!

Just before independence, the Brits did advise one Militon Obote to, at the very least, put Amin on trial for use of excessive force and/or cruelty while in the King's African Rifles (a.k.a. KAR, "Keya", etc); not to promote him, and/or to fire him.

Obote studiously ignore them, for his own sinister plans had crystallized by then, and Amin was to be the key ingredient in executing them.

After independence, our own parliament, tried to at least censure him, and to force Obote to fire Amin -- remember the gold allegations? -- to no avail! Instead, Obote moved extra-consititutionally to protect Amin at all cost.

Well, he is now in Lusaka, awaiting to rejoin his fellow killer Amin, in hell.

Before  you jump down my throat for 'rabid hatred' of your patron saint, listen to that the devil himself had to say about Amin, and advice of the Brits.  Read all about it in David Martin's 1974 book, General Amin, published in London by Faber. It is largely based on Martin's interviews of Obote during his exile in Dar es Salaam, Tz, after his former protege kicked him out of power in 1971.

Er ... poetic justice indeed: Obote spilled his guts on Amin to Martin, just as Ibingira was  spill his guts on Obote in the former's 1980 book "African Upheavals Since Independence". Truly, there is no honor among thieves.

There is a saying that "A fool's tongue is long enough to hang him" (do you know where it comes from? A popular variant is: A fool's tongue is long enough to cut his own throat.) Milton Apollo Obote's is certainly more than sufficient -- as history shows.

As for killing people,  Obote managed to hack over 300,000 Ugandans to death, all in a mere 5 years: 1981-1986. Remember 'Luweero Triangle'! Remember 'panda gari'!, etc.

Incidentally, in these times, some of  Ibingira's other writings which need to be revisited are:

Bitter harvest: a political novel. Nairobi, Kenya, East African Pub. House, 1980.

Three papers presented before the Commission of Inquiry into Violations of Human Rights, February 15-16, 1990, Kampala, Uganda / U.S. Committee for Refugees.

ssemakula

ps: could someone please forward my reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Rwanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],  "John Rukumbura" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We need to do our utmost to fight this shameless revisionist history, disinformation & misinformation campaign.

MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month. -------------------------------------------- This service is hosted on the Infocom network http://www.infocom.co.ug