Down and dirty in Iraq. American refugees to Canada.

Many Americans came to Canada for refugee from the war in Vietnam. i.e. AWOL (Rich parents sent here their kids to avoid conscription).

They are now very prominent and very progressive Canadians - Eminent scholars and scientists. But theirs was a journey of no return. Except that nearly two decades later, Jimmy Carter pardoned these draft-dodgers, and now they can cross the border to visit USA.

Today, soldiers in Iraq are thinking of AWOL, again, to Canada. They even see a bonus of freely smoking marijuana.

Well, these are just kids; for exile life is not a tea-party. The heart-ache. Missing your mother's funeral for example.

As for marijuana, scientists for the Canadian govt isolated one of the most potent strains and, for security purposes, are growing it down below in an abandoned mine. It is this marijuana that the Canadian govt supplies to all who claim marijuana is a medicine. You just get a note from your physician and it brought to you by FedEx. There is even the seal of the Canadian State on the package.

Pot-heads have not called Canada 'cool' for nothing.

Our potential new Canadians from down South have been traumatised in Iraq. Health Canada will obligingly supply them with the 'medicine'.

They don't have to risk dark-alley street dealers.

The cosmopolitan place to come is Toronto. Forget relocating to no-name places like Vancouver.

But still I find the whole exercise a sad state of affairs.

NB May be Ugandan pot is also very potent and we should work very hard to have this market opened to enteprising folks back home. What do you think?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2003/11/27/269696.html

Mitayo Potosi

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca