By David Mugonyi
Dec 17, 2003
|
Wants testimony over Ouko murder NAIROBI - Former Kenyan President Daniel arap Moi has rejected calls to appear before the committee investigating the death of Foreign Minister Robert Ouko. His lawyer, Mr Mutula Kilonzo, said the attempt by the team to question the retired head of state was malicious because he (Moi) had nothing to reveal to the committee. "He will not appear because he has nothing to offer or say," Mr Kilonzo said.
The committee, headed by Kisumu Town East MP Gor Sunguh, announced on Monday it would summon the former President on January 5 to elaborate on a public statement he made about Dr Ouko after the minister's charred remains were found in a thicket 13 years ago. Mr Moi, then the President, commented at the time; "Those who killed Ouko are the same ones who wanted to poison Prof. [George] Saitoti." But yesterday Kanu politicians led by Moi's lawyer Kilonzo ruled out any possibility of the former President appearing before the parliamentary committee. He told the Nation; "My client called me this morning and he has nothing to offer. He was not a policeman neither is he a punching bag for Narc." The lawyer said he would himself appear before the committee on January 5 to "read them the riot act". And National Assembly Speaker Francis ole Kaparo said it was unprocedural to summon witnesses through the press. "The procedure is that if a committee wants to summon anybody, it must pass through the clerk. You don't summon witnesses through the press," he said. The summons were meant to ridicule the former President and were a contravention of the Standing Orders. The committee, Kilonzo said, had not been set up formally and had not recorded any testimony for which Moi could be summoned. Neither had it listened to testimony from any other witnesses. Last month Mr Kaparo told the committee to stop issuing press statements and start its work. The team had complained that Parliament was not supporting its operations, to which Kaparo outlined the assistance offered to it, including a Land Rover, cash, security to all members and stationery. Yesterday, MPs William Ruto (Eldoret North), Charles Keter (Belgut) and Nick Salat argued that the group was trying to justify its expenditure by summoning Moi. Mr Sunguh had said they would also summon former Cabinet minister Nicholas Biwott. Mr Biwott has already sent signed affidavits on the issue to the committee. Mr Ruto said; "This idea of dragging Mr Moi's name in everything must stop. People should solve their problems without insulting him." The MP said the members were "playing dangerous politics" with the death of Dr Ouko to justify their allowances. Mr Keter asked the former President not to honour the summons, describing them as irregular. "It is a waste of time and public funds for a committee only to summon one witness who had nothing to do with the death," he said by telephone. The Belgut MP said Moi did not require any protection or confidentiality as promised by the committee. Mr Salat asked Kanu MPs on the committee to resign in protest if it (committee) persists in harassing Moi. "Let Moi enjoy his retirement in peace. He served this country as best as he could. Let's respect him," he said. The committee has summoned eight witnesses to testify, in addition to Moi and Biwott. They include the late minister's brother, Mr Barrack Mbajah, Ms Selina Were (former house-help), and the then detective superintendent John Troon of New Scotland Yard, who led investigations into the death. Others are Mr Philip Rodi, Mr Gordon Ondu, Mr Brian Martien, Mr George Otieno and Mr Agalo Bonyo. |
� 2003 The Monitor Publications
BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save �80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be.

