LRA Threatens Another Attack

By Dennis Ojwee
The Lord�s Resistance Army (LRA) has threatened to continue killing people in Acholi and Teso.
This was revealed by the rebels who were recently captured by the Uganda People�s Defence Force (UPDF), sources said.
Subsequently the army has advised people to vacate the villages and settle in the camps.
UPDF spokesman, Maj. Shaban Bantariza (right) said this in a telephone interview recently.
He promised that the Government would provide optimum security to displaced people.
We shall do our best to protect the people in the camps from any attack by the rebels,� Bantariza said.
He called upon the displaced people to co-operate with the Government and avoid unnecessary movements.
Joseph Kony, the leader of the LRA, allegedly issued similar orders in November last year to all his fighters to resume killing people in the north and northeast on grounds that the people had refused to join him.
Meanwhile, one person was kill ed and another sustained injuries when the LRA attacked Palenga Internally Displaced Persons� camp.
Camp dwellers said about 40 rebels attacked the camp on Sunday and Monday from the directions of Atyang, Oduku and Koro.
The rebels allegedly wanted to loot foodstuff.
Ends

Published on: Thursday, 4th March, 2004



FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! -------------------------------------------- This service is hosted on the Infocom network http://www.infocom.co.ug

Reply via email to