Gook:

The answer is NO.  It was cheap for Musaazi to use this 1996 article deliberately out of context and without shame.

Ochan

At 03:18 PM 3/13/2004 +0000, you wrote:
Ochan,

I remember this article well when Otto first posted it. Does he still hold this view?

rgds

Gook

“The strategy of the guerilla struggle was to cause maximum chaos and destruction in order to render the government of the day very unpopular”
Lt. Gen. Kaguta Museveni (Leader of the NRA guerilla army in Luwero)

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ochan Otim
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ugnet_: interesting view of a northern Ugandan
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:17:13 -0800

Notice that this posting avoids - deliberately or not - giving the date when this old material was written and first made public!! To me it tells a lot about the intention of the messenger.

Ochan Otim

At 02:54 PM 3/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>underdevelopment in Northern Uganda keeps recurring. It has been
>given as one of the possible reasons for the insurgency in northern
>Uganda. I have chosen to once again "stick out my neck" and share
>with my fellow Ugandans my views about this subject.
>
>There is no doubt that Gulu and Kitgum districts have not enjoyed
>the same level of economic progress like some other regions of
>Uganda have ever since independence; and probably before.
>
>While there are many reasons for this, I want to submit to you all
>that in my opinion, the single largest reason for this sorry state
>of affairs over the last ten years is the INSECURITY IN THE REGION.
>Attempts to assist economic development in both the public and
>private sectors have either failed or stalled because of insecurity
>in the region. The following examples illustrate this point.
>
>PUBLIC SECTOR
>
>A few years ago, the present government of Uganda initiated the
>Northern Uganda Reconstruction Programme (NURP). This was to to be
>the la rgest single public reconstruction project ever in Ugand
>Funding was secured from the donor community to the tune of about
>100 million US $. An Acholi professional (Dr. Okech) was appointed
>to be the Director of this programme. The plan was to rehabilitate
>roads, water supply, electricity, hospitals, health centres and
>dispensaries, schools, etc.
>
>When Dr. Okech (who had been recruited from outside Uganda) went to
>take up his office in Gulu, he was scared by the activities of the
>rebels. He therefore decided to set up office in Kampala
>temporarily. They are still bogged down in Kampala; unable to start
>the real work in Gulu because of the persistent insecurity.
>
>Many people in Uganda, including some in cabinet, have been saying
>that if the north cannot get their act together, then the project
>should be re-assigned to other areas. I am told that the Presid ent
>is refusing to reassign the project to other regions. I am sure that
>if he were to do so, he would be accused of diverting development
>elsewhere.
>
>In this case, those of Kony are the ones who have up to now
>prevented this programme from taking off. In their minds and that of
>their supporters, they are proud to have embarrassed the Government
>of Uganda. What they do not realise is that they have denied a whole
>region some economic hope. Then they turn around and blame the
>government for marginalising their people, for taking development
>elsewhere,etc. In this case, who has really hurt the people of
>northern Uganda?
>
>In spite of all these, some things have been done. The roads have
>been repaired in both Gulu and Kitgum districts. For example, the
>road from Gulu to Moroto, which had deteriorated in the eighties ,
>has been repaired. Bus serv ice from Gulu to Moroto is now possible.
>In my own village, we now have more water than we have ever had. A
t;new health centre is under construction; financed partly privately
> [...]
>then asking relatives to pay a bribe to have them released.
>
>They cannot now claim that they so care about the welfare of the
>common man in the village that they are willing to fight and die for
>it. During Obote II, the people in the village were just as poor.
>Why did they not do something about it while they had national
>power? They were so drunk with power that they could not see the
>suffering of their own people. Now they want to try and convince the
>people in the village that if they get national power, they will
>del iver heaven to the north! In the meantime, they are trying to
>deliver hell to the north by their acts of brutality.
>
>Many of their so-called leaders are simply trying to find a
>bargaining tool so that Museveni offers them something. We have
>already seen this happen before. Those who preceded Kony and caused
>so much grief in the north subsequently settled for as little as
>$6,000 US; plus or minus a plane ticket. They now live in Kampala,
>afraid to visit the beloved homeland in the north that they fought
>so hard for. This is how cheap these people think the lives of their
>brothers and sisters in the north are. I do not want to get
>personal, but enough is enough. If any of their supporters doubt
>this, I will name some former senior Obote II/ Tito Okello officials
>who have settled for petty amounts of money and now live peacefully
>in Kampala after causing our people so much grief. No wonder those
>of Kony want to join them.
>
>I want to finish by suggesting that we from the north take some of
>the responsibility for the lack of progress in our area, instead of
>always blaming the government. We must undertake to work hard and
>develop our own area before we can expect investors, local or
>foreign, to come and invest in our area. We should stop trying t
>look at the central government as our only source of development.
>Let us stop thinking that the only way to develop our area is to
>seize control of the national government. If anything, the
>experience of Obote II and Tito Okello has shown that having leaders
>like those from our region is a hazard to economic development. Even
>the few who thought they benefited in 1981-1986 have nothing to show
>for it today; except bitterness towards the people who chased them
>away from power. In stead of resenting the development in other
>areas, let us learn from them and develop our own area. After all,
>we are blessed with plenty of fertile land. Now that government does
>not control prices of produce, and products can be sold worldwide,
>let us get to work as soon as possible. Let us not allow the few
>disgraced OboteII/Tito Okello officials to ride on our backs and
>lives to get big jobs and some money from President Museveni. Let us
>refuse to be misled, and let us hope peace prevails in northern
>Uganda. Our people more than deserve it.

>This service is hosted on the Infocom network

Ochan Otim
NB: I hope you will find time to read and sign a petition to stop the Northern Uganda carnage at: http://www.petitiononline.com/savacoli/petition.html

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* -------------------------------------------- This service is hosted on the Infocom network http://www.infocom.co.ug