Kony reveals all in interview
By Frank Nyakairu
April 15, 2004

      KAMPALA - The reclusive LRA rebel leader Joseph Kony has given his first-ever 
interview and announced he might be relocating to Ethiopia.

      The interview is published in the latest edition of The Referendum, a weekly 
magazine run by exiles from southern Sudan based in Kenya.

      In the interview, Kony speaks of his fear and suspicion of President Museveni 
and plans to establish a regime based on the biblical Ten Commandments.

      The rebel leader also reveals plans to relocate his rebel group from southern 
Sudan to Ethiopia, in the light of an impending peace deal between the SPLA and the 
Sudanese government.

      "I am considering other options due to some - expected events from the Sudanese 
lords," Kony says in the interview. 

      "I have been invited by some lords in Oromo lands in Ethiopia and I will go 
there soon," he told The Referendum magazine. 

      Kony, who has always received support from the Khartoum government in 
retaliation for Kampala's support for the SPLA, has since fallen out of favour as an 
internationally brokered peace deal takes shape in southern Sudan.

      Aware of the precarious situation such a deal would put him in, Kony says in the 
interview: "I want to tell the Sudanese lords to keep away from us because if they 
attack us as they have done it this month (March 2004), we will fight and set their 
villages on fires."

      Kony says his Lord's Resistance Army, which has been blamed for the rape, murder 
and abduction in the north, said the group "is fighting for the application of Ten 
Commandments of God and we are also fighting to liberate people living in occupied 
Northern Uganda."

      The magazine says the interview was conducted on March 6 in Sudan's second 
largest city of Juba.

      The interviewer, who is not named, is described as a former bodyguard of the 
rebel leader.

      He admits to receiving support from Sudan and visiting Khartoum four times since 
1997.

      Asked why he did not hold peace talks with government, Kony revealed his 
distrust of the President.

      "President Museveni cannot talk peace, he is killer and he wanted to kill me by 
all means. I have asked the lords of the LRA to kill Museveni," Kony said.

      The chief of Military Intelligence, Col. Noble Mayombo, later told The Monitor 
that Kony could run but could not hide.

      "He is an international criminal; we can get him anywhere he goes even if it 
means signing a protocol with Ethiopia we shall," Mayombo said.

      The acting Presidential Press Secretary, Mr Onapito Ekomoloit, rejected Kony's 
claims against Mr Museveni.

      "That is absolute nonsense and an insult to Acholi people. Kony has been 
butchering innocent Acholi people systematically and we have systematically been 
trying to defend them," Onapito said by telephone.

           
            Sudan magazine interviews Kony

            April 14 - 21, 2004

                  In this interview, [LRA rebel leader Joseph] Kony tells The 
Referendum reporter, whose name is withheld, his plans to speak out with media as part 
of his war against Ugandan government. 

                       
                        Mr Kony 
                  He complains that he [has] been held hostage by Sudanese government.

                  "I am told to fight Museveni but I am not allow to talk to media 
people like this interview is not permit by the authorities," complained Kony, he 
refused to take photos alone on the grounds that he fear (sic) Museveni would 
intercept his place and direct missiles with aim [to] kill him. 

                  He decided to joint pictures with some of his commanders but for 
technical reasons, the development of photos proved poor. The interview was conducted 
at former ODA buildings in Southern Sudan town of Juba on March 6, 2004. 

                  The interviewee was Kony's guard for many years. 

                  The excerpts of the interpreted interview from Acholi to English is 
below: 

                  First one would like to thank your security men and women for making 
this meeting possible. It is great privilege for The Referendum magazine to talk to 
you. 

                  Before I begin my interview, one would like to know title given to 
you, do you called yourself commander Kony like Sudanese rebel leaders? 

                  I am Lord Joseph Kony, or refer to me as lordship. All liberators 
are lords not commanders. 

                  Lord Kony: Being a new magazine in Southern Sudan, we know little or 
nothing about you as well as about LRA, can you give the readers general ideas about 
your movement? 

                  First I risked to accept the interview because I want to maintain 
direct links with Sudanese lords, especially the Acholis of Southern Sudan. I still 
remembered the good old days we spent with Southern Sudanese lords during these years 
of struggle. Without the support of Lord William Nyon, LRA would have finished. 

                  It was Lord Nyon who took us to his allies in Juba when the 
occupation forces of Yoweri Museveni killed many Acholi men, women and children. I am 
also happy with Sudanese Acholics and Madis of Sudan for their supports to LRA during 
all these years. 

                  Coming to the point of how I started the movement, it was in 1992, 
dreams of the spirit came to me one night and asked me to launch a Lord Resistance 
Movement. 

                  I spent 60 days praying and appealing to God to strengthen faith so 
that I liberate the people of Uganda from corruption, sins and immoral thinking. I 
want the rule of law of the government to be based on the Ten Commandments prescribed 
by God. 

                  Q: Your Lordship, where did you launch your movement? 

                  When the dream came to me, I went to the forests of Talanga in the 
borderline between Sudan and Uganda and conducted several prayers after that I went 
back to my village where I started to recruit more lords for resistant purpose. 

                  I was immediately chased out from Uganda by the occupation forces. 
We ran to the top of the mountains in South Sudan. There, Sudanese lords led by lord 
Nyon helped us. 

                  We sent our fighters to Gong, Ludu and Palata for military training 
and also I was involved in faith orientation in all training. 

                  Q: Your lordship, you didn't say who were your trainers? 

                  The trainers were former Acholic army officers, who were dismissed 
by Milton Obote and by occupation force of Museveni. 

                  The Sudanese lords and their allies supported us in training the 
Ugandan recruits especially when the Sudanese lords split their movement into small 
groups. We were getting food, arms, and medical treatments for the wounded from our 
brothers in Sudanese government.

                  The Sudanese also introduced us to their allies in Khartoum and Juba 
where we were fully supported to defeat the occupation forces in Acholic land. 

                  Q: How do you come in contacts with the Sudanese lords and who were 
supporting you in Khartoum and here in Juba? 

                  When Lord Nyon split from other Sudanese lords, Lord Nyon contacted 
us in the Acholi areas in Sudan for survival of his forces, he found it difficult to 
maintain his forces so we joined our forces and Acholis were guiding us because Lord 
Nyon and us do not know the local routes of Eastern Bank. 

                  We support him and he too support us. When Lord Nyon returns to Lord 
Garang, our position was already good because some deserters SPLA mainly from Acholi, 
Madi and Muandara men started to join LRA. 

                  Q: You did not talk of Khartoum or Juba? 

                  I have been to Khartoum four times now, the first visit was in 1997 
but I came regularly to Juba. 

                  Q: But I have seen your Lordship in Khartoum Armed Forces Officer's 
Club in 2002? 

                  How did you manage to see me when the security was strict? It is 
true; I was there that year together with lords from Equatoria Defence Force (EDF). 

                  Q: Looking at the political developments in Sudan, those people whom 
you termed as lords from Southern Sudan and Sudan government are likely going to sign 
a peace agreement, end their war and establish stable ties with Uganda, do you think 
this will affect your existence in the borderlines of the two countries? 

                  LRA always depend on God strengthens. We will keep on the fight 
until we liberate Acholi lands from occupation. I am considering other options due to 
some - expected events from the Sudanese lords. 

                  I have been invited by some lords in Oromo lands in Ethiopia and I 
will go there soon but I want to tell the Sudanese lords to keep away from us because 
if they attack us as they have done it this month (March-2004) this year, we will 
fight and set their villages on fires. 

                  LRA is operating inside Uganda but also we deserve to protect our 
Acholis and Madi tribes in Sudan. We are betrayed by Sudanese lords, first by Nyon, 
Machar and Akol and now EDF which had just declared us snakes in their returns to Lord 
Garang. 

                  Q: Your lordship, are you fighting to apply Ten Commandments of God 
or you are fighting to liberate Acholi tribe? 

                  LRA is fighting for the application of Ten Commandments of God and 
we are also fighting to liberate people living in occupied Northern Uganda. 

                  Q: Can you not achieve these goals through, peaceful means, your 
lordship? 

                  I was asked by God to fight for these goals. Uganda will never 
experience peace unless we go back to God to strengthen us. 

                  Q: Your lordship, Uganda President said one time in the media 
reports that he want to talk to you, he also said he asked the church leaders to 
mediate for peaceful talks, your comment? 

                  President Museveni cannot talk peace, he is killer and he wanted to 
kill me by all means. I have asked the lords of the LRA to kill Museveni, Lord Martin 
Kenyi of Sudanese lords who we have supported all these years. 

                  We will kill Sudanese lords of EDF wherever they are found. God made 
me to dream for the application of Ten Commandments, I started to fight for his cause. 

                  Q: Your lordship, President Museveni reportedly says he want to talk 
with your lordship and he sent his telephone number to you, why don't you try to 
contact him because he may accept the application of ten commandments. Your comments? 

                  I have just told you that Museveni and Obote are killers and they 
wanted me to use the phone call so that his spies can intercept the talks and direct 
his assassination on me. 

                  I have no access to phones or radios calls and that is why Museveni 
killers failed to locate our lords inside Uganda or in Southern Sudan. I will 
communicate with Museveni through the holy spirits and not through the telephone. 

                  Q: So you do not want peace talks. Your lordship? 

                  My dream is for the application of Ten Commandments. I was asked by 
God to liberate the people and apply Ten Commandments. 

                  Q: Your lordship, do you have any spiritual dream for how best can 
the Nile waters be share by nations? 

                  Yes. My dream about the Nile waters is that, the water should flow 
to Egypt. The killers of Museveni wanted to stop the water from reaching other 
nations. 

                  Q: But we have been told by many sources that your lordship war is 
sponsored by Egyptians and other Arab League nations who want to destabilise or engage 
Uganda at war so that Uganda do not implement development projects by using the Nile 
waters for irrigation. 

                  Can you react to these allegations? 

                  I don't know Egypt so I cannot be hired by people of Egypt whom I do 
not know. How can a person like me be hired? Egypt and Nile waters only come to me 
through the spirit of God. 

                  Q: Your Lordship, in Khartoum in 2002, you were reported or alleged 
to have met Egyptian officials, what have you discussed in those meetings? 

                  I met many people in Khartoum that year but I cannot remember if I 
happened to meet officials from Egypt. 

                  Q: But what made your lordship to dream of water flow to Egypt only 
rather than Ethiopia, Sudan or other nations if the allegations which say, that you 
are hired by Egypt to engage Uganda at war is not true? 

                  Stop here, please I have no connections with Egypt and I want this 
issue closed, (his eye turned reds and he declared that the interview end) 

                  Q: Thank you for taking much of your time but I just wanted to put 
the last question Your Lordship, you and your lords are reported to be raping women, 
killing civilians and looting people's properties, can Your Lordship explain why your 
lords do ungodly practices and you claimed to be a man of God's dreams? 

                  All the allegations are not true. Museveni killers are the ones 
doing ungodly practices.
                 
           




       The Mulindwas Communication Group
      "With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in anarchy"
                  Groupe de communication Mulindwas 
      "avec Yoweri Museveni, l'Ouganda est dans l'anarchie"

     


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
Printer at MyInks.com.  Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/TTwplB/TM
---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

**********LAWRIE GREEN EDUCATION 2004 Abuja EXHIBITION of UK Schools !!!*************
  <1>     To obtain the best possible offers given each individual circumstance; 
<2>-To advise and guide you through at evry stage of application process; 
<3>-To consider your interest first at all times.
Lawrie Green Education - Prepararion for life.  contact:- [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
http://www.preparationforlife.com    
http://www.preparationforlife.com/pages/_nigeria/lge_nigeria.html
                     ++++++++++++++
Nigerians for Nigeria, rebuilding a Country where No man is oppressed.                 
 -              ---
Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
**********Keep Hope Alive!!!*************
****Internet Solution****
A one stop solution for your web site.  It is fully Nigerian, with Hausa, Yoruba and 
Ibo Alphabets and so many resources easy to use and a 24/7 support access.  Why go 
further when a Nigerian, try this one you wont go elsewhere.  I ve my signature to 
it... http://www.africaservice.com  
PJ Adamz Abuja Nigeria.
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/abujaNig/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



--------------------------------------------
This service is hosted on the Infocom network
http://www.infocom.co.ug

Reply via email to