Look beyond the visible for truth
By Muhwezi G. Bonge
April 23 - 29, 2004

Unidentified beautiful girl at Club Silk Yellow Bash April 10 (Photo by Bruno Birakwate)

I know that the saying ‘You cannot judge a book by its cover,’ has been used one time too many. Yet how many have fallen prey to this?

Well I will say it again. Looks can deceive! You look at that pot-bellied man and all you can think of is how loaded he is.

I remember one girl who eloped with some fat guy, whose potbelly was the work of malwa, a local potent brew. She discovered it too late.

Many times, people look innocent. And when they are exposed, you can’t help but wonder where they had hidden their true character.
Agnes, a third year university student confessed that she met her ex boy friend at a club, chatted and exchanged numbers. He looked as innocent as an angel.

A few months into the relationship and she could not believe the kind of monster she had got for herself. The man was a habitual abuser who could not keep a woman for more than a few months. It was only because of her persistence that the relationship lasted for a while.

It is said that not all that glitters is gold. I am not saying that everyone is not what they appear to be. But it pays to scratch underneath the cover of innocence.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications

East African | About Us | Feedback | Site Map | License | Monitor Mail