|
MBARARA - New information about the taxi
driver�s murder in Bushenyi last week indicates that the policemen fired
at the moving vehicle before the deceased was finally shot
dead.
Mr Faisal
Bagyeraki was shot dead on April 26 by special police constables at a
roadblock at Rutoto, about 20 kms on Ishaka-Kasese road.
The police
immediately said Bagyeraki had stopped at the roadblock and fled into
the bushes before the cops shot him dead, 100 metres away.
�It seems
the police in Bushenyi deceived me,� the regional CID chief here Mr
Terence Kinyera told The Monitor by telephone last Friday.
�I
have perused the file and quizzed the accused, the new version is that
when the driver saw the road block and tyre cutters, he made a U-turn
and the accused started showering bullets at it [taxi], bursting its
tyres before firing at the fleeing driver,� Kinyera said.
The accused
Mr Herbert Bamwine and Mr Herbert Natukwatsa are both SPCs in
Bunyaruguru county, Bushenyi. They were first detained in Bushenyi and
later transferred to Mbarara.
The murder
sparked off demonstrations by drivers which paralysed business both in
Bushenyi and Mbarara towns. Kinyera said that a passenger Ms Beatrice
Kembaga and her child were injured in the shooting.
They were
taken to Mbarara University Teaching Hospital. He told The Monitor last
Wednesday that they transferred the accused to Mbarara because they
doubted the impartiality of the Bushenyi police in the investigations.
Police have
preferred murder charges against the two constables. �Of course both
fired and you can�t tell who killed. On Monday [today] I will send the
file with the charge sheet to the resident state attorney in Bushenyi.
They will be tried in Bushenyi,� he said. |