CONGO-DEM.REPUBLIC  27/4/2004 19:32 
RWANDAN TROOPS IN KIVU: KINSHASA REACTS EVER MORE STRONGLY 
 General, Standard 
 
 
Today the authorities of the Democratic Republic of Congo again made extremely strong 
statements concerning the intrusion by a battalion of Rwandan soldiers into the east 
of the country, documented by the troops of MONUC (the United Nations mission in the 
country). æe are reacting extremely strongly because, while we are engaged in a 
peace process involving the entire Great Lakes region, we have the impression (after 
catching Rwanda red-handed) that the Rwandan government is proving to be the obstacle 
to the return of peace to the whole area,?Antoine Gonda, the foreign minister in the 
transitional government in Kinshasa, said in an interview with æadio Okapi? the 
MONUC broadcaster today. æt is therefore necessary to apply the coercive measures 
contemplated under chapter 7 of the United Nations charter,?added the minister, 
referring to the section authorising UN missions to use force when necessary. Besides 
being contrary to the peace agreement between Kinshasa and Kigali (which foresaw the 
withdrawal of all foreign troops from the east of the country), Gonda insisted that 
the presence of regular Rwandan troops in Congo æs a blatant violation of Congolese 
territorial integrity? Meanwhile, some observers have told MISNA that in addition to 
signalling a æseless deterioration?of relations between the two countries, the 
arguments of the last 72 hours are almost æaradoxical? given that just recently 
Kinshasa and Kigali had been working to restore normal diplomatic relations after the 
chill during the war. For now, the Congolese government looks as if it wants to take 
maximum advantage of this situation particularly on a political level, and it has 
continued to appeal to the UN Security Council and to the international community in 
general to intervene. Meanwhile, today Aldo Ajello, the European Unionæ special 
envoy to the Great Lakes region, defined the intrusion of Kigaliæ soldiers in Congo 
as ænacceptable? adding that Rwanda must resolve its own security problems within 
its borders. Following an initial invasion in 1996, Kigali returned to Congolese 
territory in 1998, remaining there until Rwanda and Congo signed a peace agreement in 
July 2002. Kigali subsequently withdrew its troops from the former Zaire and Kinshasa 
pledged to repatriate thousands of Rwandan Hutu combatants accused by Kigali of taking 
part in the 1994 genocide and who were hiding in the forest in Kivu, eastern Congo. 
However, since the date of the official withdrawal civil society has repeatedly 
denounced the presence of Rwandan troops in Congo, which until last Saturday the 
ælue helmets?of MONUC had always denied. Meanwhile, Kigali continues to deny the 
declarations by MONUC concerning the presence of a battalion of Rwandan soldiers in 
north Kivu.[LC]
 
 
 


 

Reply via email to