UNICEF Gets Shs 6bn for North Uganda Children

    
  Email This Page 

Print This Page 

Visit The Publisher's Site 
  
   
 
 
The Monitor (Kampala)

May 30, 2004 
Posted to the web June 1, 2004 

Henry H. Ssali
Kampala 

The United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) has secured $3.2m (Shs 6bn) as emergency 
humanitarian aid for children in war ravaged northern Uganda.

Unicef Executive Director, Ms Carol Bellamy announced the aid, during a press 
conference at the end of her visit to Uganda. Bellamy said the UN launched a 
consolidated appeal of $7.6m to be used over the next six months - but had so far 
secured only $ 3.2m.

  
"When you think of what is spent in Iraq everyday, Uganda only needs a drop in the 
bucket," she said. Bellamy who visited Internally Displaced Peoples' camps in Lira and 
Gulu referred to the war in the as "one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world 
today."She narrated her ordeal of seeing children flocking into Gulu town at night.

"I have seen many disturbing images during my time with Unicef, but few of them are as 
shocking as the sight of the 44,000 'night commuters' I saw two nights ago," she said.

She appealed to the Lord's Resistance Army's rebel leader Joseph Kony to stop 
abducting children and using them as soldiers and using girls as sexual slaves.

Relevant Links 
 
East Africa 
Refugees and Displacement 
Children and Youth 
Civil War and Communal Conflict 
Uganda 
 
 
 
She said the LRA's use of children has not only robbed them of their childhood but has 
also created a pattern of violence in them.

She described Uganda as a country with 'two Ugandas'. "While one Uganda continues to 
succeed as a development model for Africa, the other Uganda is an open wound in the 
north that threatens to jeopardise its success," she said.





--------------------------------------------
This service is hosted on the Infocom network
http://www.infocom.co.ug

Reply via email to