DR of Congo Refugees in Burundi Now Number 25,000, UN Agency Says

    
  Email This Page 

Print This Page 

Visit The Publisher's Site 
  
   
 
 
UN News Service (New York)

June 18, 2004 
Posted to the web June 18, 2004 


Conflict in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo has led to a refugee flood of 
25,000 into neighbouring Burundi, an increase of 8,000 since Tuesday, the United 
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said today.

The Government of Burundi has agreed to provide more land for refugees who have been 
arriving almost daily, the refugee agency said. One camp at Karurama already houses 
3,000 people and will be expanded to house 6,000 refugees.

Thousands more have entered Rwanda since insurgents started fighting on 26 May and the 
UN World Food Programme (WFP) has been operating mass feeding programmes for Congolese 
refugees in both countries.

Relevant Links 
 
Central Africa 
Refugees and Displacement 
Burundi 
Congo-Kinshasa 
 
 
 
UNHCR said it planned to start moving the refugees away from the border tomorrow. The 
first convoy would travel from Rugumbo to Songore transit camp, which has a capacity 
of 800 refugees and had previously been used for returning Burundi refugees.

Some 2,000 refugees would go to Gasorwe camp, which already houses around 8,000 
Congolese refugees who had fled in previous years, UNHCR said.





--------------------------------------------
This service is hosted on the Infocom network
http://www.infocom.co.ug

Reply via email to