Most MPs undecided on federo
By David Kibirige
July 25, 2004

KAMPALA - The majority of MPs are undecided on the contentious issue of adopting a federal system of governance for Uganda. Sunday Monitor sounded out 151 legislators out of the total 305. There are 295 elected MPs and 10 ex-officials.

Of the 151 MPs, 59 are undecided, 43 support federalism (federo) while 49 are totally opposed to the arrangement. In terms of percentage, 32% do not want federo, 40% are undecided while 28% prefer the system.

Of those who are undecided, the majority are from Buganda. The majority of MPs opposed to federo are from western Uganda while most MPs from northern Uganda want a federal system of government for the whole country.

All cabinet ministers said the spirit of collective responsibility binds them. Lt. Mulindwa Birimumaso (Bukoto West) is the only MP from Buganda who is openly opposed to federalism. Some MPs want a federation of the East African countries – Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

Lira Municipality MP, Cecilia Ogwal says the federal idea is her brainchild, dating as far back as the Constituent Assembly days. She says she will support the system to the end.

Some MPs who advocate for federalism say it should be detached from monarchism. More than 50 MPs say they do not understand the federal system of governance, adding that they would like to be educated on the matter.

Undecided MPs

1. Jacob Oulanyah (Omoro): I cannot declare my position on such matters because I am committee chairperson; It could bias me when presenting a report to the House.
2. Christopher Mbulibulha (Busongora South): I will support federo only if it is not embedded in Kabakaship.
3. Alex Onzima (Maracha): I will decide basing on the merits and demerits presented by the supporters and opposers of federalism.
4. Abdu Katuntu (Bugweri): I will support any position taken by Pafo on this matter.
5. Phinehas Katirima (Army): I cannot say my position on something I have not seen yet.
6. Nyombi Thembo (Kassanda South): The matter of federalism is very controversial but let us first wait for what cabinet brings in Parliament.
7. Abura Samuel (Matheniko): I will respond to this matter later.
8. Jovino Akaki (Maruzi): It is premature for me to announce my position on federalism.
9. Jane Odwongo Akwero ( Kitgum women): I cannot give my position on this matter because we have not discussed it with our colleagues in Parliament.
10. Margaret Ateng (Lira): I want to first know what federalism is about and nobody has so far come up to educate me.
11. Francis Babu (Kampala Central): Let us first listen to different sides and later decide whether to support federalism or not.
12. Lydia Balemezi (Mukono): I don’t have a problem with federalism but let us first listen to all sides because it is good for everyone to feel happy.
13. Syda Bbumba (Nakaseke): I cannot comment on this matter until cabinet has brought it to Parliament.
14. James Nsaba Buturo (Bufumbira East, also Information minister): We need to develop a wider consensus and until such consensus is developed I cannot make a decision on this matter.
15. Dora Byamukama (Mwenge South): I have not yet addressed my mind to this matter.
16. Ephraim Kamuntu (Sheema South): I have not yet decided because I have no t yet seen the proposed federal arrangement.
17. Kyahurwenda Abwooli (Buhaguzi): I have not made up my position on federalism.
18. Kisamba Mugerwa (Bamunanika): My decision will depend on the contents of federalism. Federo should not only be to Mengo.
19. Rose Lochiam (Moroto women): I am not yet decided on this matter.
20. Ruth Kavuma (Kalangala women): I know I would support federo but let’s first wait for the matter to get to Parliament.
21. James Kubeketerya (Bunya East): I have not taken a decision on this matter.
22. Ndawula Kawesi (Kiboga West): The whole system is still confused; the federo of Buganda doesn’t make sense.
23. John Wagonda Muguli (Buikwe North): I don’t know the type of federalism that has been proposed but I don’t have a problem with federalism.
24. Godfrey Kiwanda (Mityana North): I have no problem but we need to first understand what kind of federalism we are talking about.
25. Bruno Pajobo Joram (Workers): I will support federalism if Buganda wishes to federate with other regions. But not for Buganda alone.
26. Mary Amajo (Kaberamaido women): Some time should first be taken to educate people about federalism.
27. Omwony Ojok (Labwor): I will take a side agreed on by the Cabinet.
28. Benigna Mukiibi (Kibaale women): I am bound by the collective responsibility; I will take Cabinet decision.
29. Sarah Kiyingi (Rakai women): MPs need to first be educated about federalism. For example does federo mean that the Kabaka has to be involved?
30. Betty Udongo (Nebbi women): Some of us don’t know what federalism is all about.
31. Augustine Ruzindana (Ruhama): I don’t engage in speculations but I don’t see President Museveni granting federalism.
32. Mwesigwa Rukutana (Rushenyi): I will go with cabinet decision.
33. Margaret Zziwa (Kampala women): I have no comment on that matter.
34. Wabudeya Beatrice (Sironko women): I will take a decision taken by Cabinet.
35. Jim Muhwez i (Rujumbura): I am a cabinet minister so I will support cabinet position.
36. Mary Karooro Okurut (Bushenyi women): Let us first wait for cabinet to bring this matter to Parliament.
37. Patrick Apuun (Bokora): Shall first consult with my people. Supports East African Federation.
38. Ignatius Besisira (Buyaga): I cannot make an informed decision until I am taught.
39. Harriet Kagaba (Kyenjonjo): Does not understand federalism and feudalism. Needs someone to teach her what federalism is vis-à-vis decentralisation.
40. Geoffrey Ekanya (Tororo country): We are in a study group for now.
41. Wesonga Kamana (Bubulo West): We shall cross the bridge when we get there.
42. Masiko Komuhangi (Rukungiri women): I do not understand what type of federalism they want. I would have no problem if it is explained to me and it is workable.
43. Patrick Oboi Amuriat (Kumi): Not ready to comment because I do not understand the federalism that Buganda wants.
44. Gole Nicholas (Budaka): Will decide when it comes to House.
45. Nathan Byanyima (Bukanga): Wants to know how Buganda federalism would work because it is ambiguous.
46. Malinga Johnson (Kapelebyong): I will first consult my people before I make any decision.
47. Namirembe Bitamazire (Mpigi women): My ideas are all focused on UPE. Whether federo or not that is my assignment.
48. Mugerwa Namaggwa (Masaka women): If they explain it to me, I might support it.
49. Mathias Kasamba (Kakuuto): I am undecided
50. Masiko Kabakumba (Masindi): Not interested in the topic.
51. James Kakooza (Kabula): We have never seen a document from Mengo so how do we know what they want.
52. Katongole Badhul (Kyaka): Government should harmonise its position with that of Mengo then I can tell you my position.
53. Harry Kasigwa (Jinja municipality): I haven’t looked so much into it but I wouldn’t want it to for one region.
54. Magoola Zirabamuzale (Iganga): It needs scrutiny. F ederalism should be granted to all regions that want it.
55. Basaliza Araali (Fort Portal): Not decided.
56. Mike Ssebalu (Busiro East): He refused to comment.
57. Ignatius Besisira (Buyaga): Has not studied merits and demerits of federalism.
58. Michael Ogola (West Budama): I need more time
59. Emmanuel Ddombo (Bunyole): Will support modified federalism.

Anti-Federalism

1. Idah Mehangye (Kamwenge women): Of course I cannot support federalism. [No reason given].
2. Moses Kizige (Bugabula North): I am for the Charter. In fact I will even de-campaign federo.
3. Margaret Baba Diri (PWD): I wouldn’t support federalism because Uganda is too small and different regions are at different levels of development.
4. Jessica Eriyo (Adjumani): My constituents don’t support it so I won’t support it.
5. Simon D’ujanga (Okoro): We are a small country; the issue of federating is not good.
6. Lukia Isanga Nakadama (Mayuge): I don’t support federalism because it will only benefit a few people.
7. Kapkwomu Ndiwa (Kongasis): I don’t support it because many Baganda MPs don’t like it. If the owners don’t want it, who am I to demand for it?
8. Bright Rwamirama (Isingiro North): I will not support federo because some people want to hide in Kabakaship so that they can eat (sic) taxes.
9. John Arapkissa Yekko (Kween): I will not support federalism because it will create confusion and chaos in Uganda.
10. Geofrey Ahabwe (Rubanda East): Buganda is so selfish and it doesn’t learn from the past. What they are demanding is monarchism not federalism.
11. Moses Lubowa (Budiope): No, it will promote the current imbalance in regional development.
12. Jane Alisemera (Bundibugyo): I don’t want it; people in Toro have a very bitter experience about it.
13. Byenkya Nyakaisiki (Hoima women): My people and I don’t want federalism although Bunyoro kingdom wants it.
14. Simon Wananzofu (Bulambuli): I don’t support federalism at all. If Mengo insists on Kampala, then I get to know why they want federalism.
15. Jacqueline Kyatuheire (Kanungu): Federalism is tantamount to genocide.
16. Avitus Tibarimbasa (Ndorwa East): I come from Kabale and I am a republican so when you start talking about federalism I don’t understand what you are talking about.
17 . Philip Ntacyotugira (Bufumbira West): I am opposed to federalism. Ugandans must be united.
18. Stephen Basaliza (Burahya): The return of kings was good enough. Federalism is not necessary.
19. Elly Tumwine (Army): Take federalism to Mengo, don’t waste my time.
20. Miria Matembe (Mbarara Women): Don’t talk to me on those things of federalism.
21. Henry Okello Oryem (Chwa): The federalism that is in the White paper [regional tier) is the one I will support. We must promote nationalism rather than sectarianism.
22. Jonathan Mutiiti (Buliisa): Would support federalism for the whole country and not Buganda only.
23. Beatrice Kiraso (Kabarole women): I don’t think I will support it because the way Buganda people want it leaves the other regions in a disadvantaged state.
24. Mulindwa Birimumaaso (Bukoto West): I support federalism as a principle for East Africa and not for Buganda.
25. Loyce Bwambale (Kasese women): Why give to Buganda alone?
26. St even Chebrot (Tingey): I can’t support it because Buganda is too small to be accorded a federal status and I believe in unitary government.
27. Steven Malinga (Butebo): The way Baganda are asking for federalism is not the right way.
28. George William Wopuwa (Budadiri East): If you give federalism to Buganda alone you are encouraging discrimination.
29. Martin Orech (Kalaki): I do not support Buganda’s federalism because it will drag the Kabaka into politics and create the historical problems we have had.
30. Louis Opange (Pallisa): I do not support it because the background of the federal system is based on monarchical institutions which most regions in Uganda do not have.
31. Peter Lokeris (Chekwii): Supports cabinet position of regional tier.
32. Martin Wandera (Workers): If it is the federalism as of 1962, it has problems because it gave certain regions special status, which cannot work in the republican government.
33. Ofwono Yeri (Tororo Municipa lity): Pro-federalists have not convinced me why we should give them federalism and it is being looked at as a Buganda affair.
34. Owor Otada (Kibanda): I don’t support giving federalism to Buganda because the whole federalism idea and concept is misplaced and misinterpreted.
35. Charles Angiro (Erute North): No good reason to support it. It is a lone thing to benefit Baganda alone.
36. Nyeko Ocula (Kilak): Decentralisation is perfect and should be strengthened
37. Alice Alaso (Soroti): With decentralisation in place, it is hard to run federalism parallel with decentralization
38. Wadri Kassiano (Telego County): I will not support it because the line between it and decentralization is very thin.
39. Anyolo Sam (Soroti): The whole country should go federalism and not Mengo alone.
40. Frank Nabwiso (Kagoma County): Would support Buganda’s quest with other states like Busoga, Teso, Bunyoro but if it’s alone it may cause unnecessary jealousy like it did i n 1960s.
41. Ben Etonu (Amuria): In CA a member from Teso moved a motion but a Muganda said they did not want federalism. I don’t think I will support it.
42. Okupah Elijah (Kasilo County): Baganda should have used the right channels and not bargaining with government.
43. Ruth Tuma (Jinja women): It may not be possible to get federalism as it were. With the globalisation, federalism will have to be modified to suit the modern times.
44. Wilfred Kajeeke (Youth Eastern): The problem is that Buganda is advocating for feudalism and not federalism and this will create problems because under federalism, office bearers are elected but for Buganda they want the Kabaka to be the head of the federal state and this will cause problems.
45. John Eresu (Kaberamaido): Baganda should market themselves. The federalism demands will create problems.
46. Wambi Kibaale (Sironko): Problem is that the Baganda are singling out federalism for Buganda alone. If it was for the who le country, it would help.
47. John Achilla (Jie): I will not support the federalism for Buganda, it will divide the country.
48. Aelark Lodou (Dodoth): In Karamoja we are not used to federalism, so I see no reason why I should support Buganda to be given federo.
49. Aggrey Awori (Samia Bugwe North): Federalism strictly for Buganda is unworkable. I will not support it.

Pro Federalism views

1. Alex Ndeezi (PWD): I support Federalism minus Kampala.
2. Israel Kibirige Sebunnya (Kyandondo North): I will fight tooth and nail to ensure that federalism is granted.
3. Issa Kikungwe (Kyadondo South): I support it but I think the best federalism will be granted to us by the next government.
4. Joseph Kule Muranga (Busngora North): I have no problem with giving Buganda federal status.
5. Umar Lule Mawiya (Kalungu East): I will support federalism because we have agitated for it for a long time.
6. Peter Mutuluuza (Mawokota North): I support what my people tell me. My people want 99 percent federalism.
7. Dan Kiwalabye (Kiboga East): I support federalism because people still think in terms of their tribes so it is better to keep each region separate in governance.
8. Sebuliba Mutumba (Kawempe South): We want federalism and we shall continue to agitate for it until it is given to us.
9. Wa mbuzi Gagawala (Bulamogi): We should support the formation of the original federal governments for major regions like Buganda and others.
10. Sylvia Namabidde (Mubende women): I am a Muganda so I support federalism but we should restrain ourselves from agitating for it emotionally.
11. Lt. Jimmy Kinobe (Katikamu North): I support federalism but Kabaka should be put out of politics.
12. Ben Wacha (Oyam North): I would go for federation for the whole country.
13. Rose Sseninde (Wakiso women): As a Buganda MP, I must support the proposal from my people.
14.Victoria Kakooko Ssebagereka (Kayunga Women): I support federalism but we need to discuss the pros and cons of a federal arrangement.
15.Fred Ruhindi (Nakawa): I support federalism because it is a good form of governance otherwise it wouldn’t be practiced in modern democracies.
16.Herbert Lwanga (Bukoto South): I have no problem with federalism. It is the only way forward.
17.Tim Lwanga (Kyamuswa): I support federalism 101 percent but I want federalism for the entire country not Buganda alone.
18.Salaamu Musumba (Bugabula South): I support federalism in whatever version it is.
19.Asanasio Kayizzi (Kassanda North): I support federalism. But we have been in dialogue with MPs from other regions and we are yet to convince them.
20.Augustine Nshimye (Mityana South): The people who sent me want federalism so I will stick to that.
21.Rose Namayanja (Youth Central): I support federalism at all costs up to the last hour when it will be granted or rejected. But I support it for the whole country.
22.Theodre Sekikubo (Rwemiyaga): My people want federalism so as a matter of principal I have no problem with it.
23.Apolinaris Kitende (Bukonjo East): I will support federalism. It is a constitutional right for people to demand governance of their choice.
24.Dan Kidega (Youth Northern): I would support federalism if it is separated from tribal sentiments and mad e a national issue than a Baganda affair.
25.Patrick Musisi (Busiro South): I am ready to support federalism once it is brought to Parliament.
26.Fred Badda (Bujumba): We want federalism so that regions can get more economic strength.
27.John Ken Lukyamuzi (Lubaga South): When the constitution was abrogated it caused political insanity in Uganda. That is why we want to give federalism a chance.
28.Wakikona Wandendeya (Manjiya): Let people have what they want.
29.Anthony Mukasa (Buikwe): I will support federalism because I am a Muganda and my people want it.
30.Rainer Kafiire (Kibuku): Supports federalism for the whole country and for Buganda. We supported it in CA and a certain Muganda let us down.
31.Nsubuga Nsambu (Makindye West): Federalism is good in a way that it promotes self-control of your own affairs.
32.Capt. Charles Byaruhanga (Kibaale): I have no problem with Buganda getting the federalism but the debate is misdirected. Mengo is talkin g to the president and not MPs.
33.Captain David Matovu (Kooki): I have no problem with Mengo getting federo but I hate a situation where Kabaka is in firing range.
34.Alintuma Nsambu (Bukoto East): We strongly support the federal system of governance and we will do what it takes to restore.
35.Pataki Amasi (Obong): For me I support it.
36.Kalule Ssengo (Gomba): There is no doubt about us supporting it. We don’t have to beg for it but it should be granted.
37.Anifa Kawooya (Ssembabule): I am a representative of Ssembabule and my people want federalism.
38.Joseph Mugambe (Nakifuma): I have not received any reasons against the Buganda bid.
39.Nasser Basajjabalaba (Youth Western): Has no problem it if it is the wish of the people. But the Baganda have not lobbied me.
40.Cecilia Ogwal (Lira Municipality): The day the federalism motion was defeated in CA I walked out in tears alone. I still support it because it is my project and I have to complete it.
41. William Kiwagama (Bunya West): Has no problem supporting Buganda because when kingdoms were reinstated, he was the first one to support them.
42. Lolem Micah (Upe): It was a promise by the president and should be fulfilled.
43. Paul Lokeris (Pian): I want federalism for the whole country, not Buganda alone.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications

Take the effort out of being organized with MSN® Calendar. MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE* -------------------------------------------- This service is hosted on the Infocom network http://www.infocom.co.ug