Note: forwarded message attached.


Do you Yahoo!?
Send a seasonal email greeting and help others. Do good.
--- Begin Message ---

Clan donates land to factory

By Joshua Khatiya
THE Karuwok clan in Tororo district has agreed to
sell
its land to Tororo cement factory for its expansion.
In a letter to the financial controller of the industry, clan spokesman Christopher Ochwo said they picked interest in offering their land after The New Vision of December 10.
The letter said the land would be offered on condition that the factory paid for it and compensated them for items on it.
The clan also asked for some form of premium for the land.
Ends

Published on: Friday, 24th December, 2004

 

Bishop to evict 2,000 Bushenyi residents

By Wilber Muhwezi
OVER 2,000 residents of Mushasha parish, Karungu sub-county in Bushenyi district have seven days to quit their land. The retired Bishop of
West Ankole diocese, Yoram Bamunoba has asked Bushenyi district to relocate the people, claiming they are squatting on his land. Bamunoba�s letter last week said the land stretched through the villages of Kyakabamba, Kyarikondo and Ngyembe. He said it was located on block 43, plots 1, 2 and 3.


Bamunoba said some people leaving on the land had started selling it.
Upon receiving the letter, the affected residents petitioned the acting resident district commissioner to help them remain on the land.
In a letter, the residents said the land was theirs as they had stayed on it for over 70 years. They said a catholic church at Kininga and Mushasha primary school had been constructed on the land. The residents also said they had farms, banana plantations, coffee fields and other agricultural projects on the land.


The acting resident district commissioner, Patrick Kawamara, wrote to Bamunoba, halting the eviction. �I am writing to stop you from evicting the people of Mushasha from the land you allege is yours,� the letter said.
Kawamara said the 1998 Land Act protects the bonafide land occupants.
Ends

Published on: Friday, 24th December, 2004

247 Rwandese return home

By Kyomuhendo Muhanga
�FOR the first time, I�m going to eat Christmas from home,� an 11-year-old Rwandese boy, Alifunsi Twagira, said as he boarded a UN truck at Nakivale refugee resettlement camp.
At least 247 Rwandan refugees returned home on Monday after 11 years of exile in
Uganda
.
The UN refugees agency said the repatriation was voluntary. �They requested to go home and we accepted to facilitate them,� said the agency�s head of field office in Mbarara, Adam Diis Iimi.
Women and children danced and chanted as they boarded the four UN trucks.
�Dusubirayo murugo iwacu we (At long last we are going back home),� Jannette Owimbabazi, 23, said before she boarded the truck.
She said she came to
Uganda with her mother during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda
.
Ends

Published on: Friday, 24th December, 2004


--- End Message ---
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

Reply via email to