Matek Opoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
SPLA to help hunt for Kony
By Richard Mutumba
Jan 9, 2005
KAMPALA � The Ugandan army's hunt for rebel leader Joseph Kony is expected to intensify with the Sudan People's Liberation Army joining in the effort, the government has said.
Men and women of wisdom:If with 60,000 troops,with American /British and ireasli supplied weapons and inteligency, and after fighting for 20 years Museveni still cannot capture "kony", what is the Statistical probability that this time around ( with the SPLA trown in the equation) Museveni will capture "Kony"..Museveni and his goons in the NRM should stop fooling the people of Uganda. His wars and war mongering tactics has already cost Ugandans Millions of lives, tremendous suffering in the IDP camps..and above all ruined the future of millions of acholi, Langi, teso, Karamojong and son Lugwara children.. due to the fact many children from this areas of conflict cannot and have not be able to go to school. Promoting more wars is not the answer. and yet if kaguta insist on that thhen all that needs to be done is change the Burrel of the GUN to face south! get my drift!!
MK
"Since the SPLA is expected to take charge of southern Sudan, they will be part of the new protocol due for signing soon," said Ms Ruth Nankabirwa, the minister of state for defence.
The protocol between the governments of Uganda and Sudan allowing the UPDF to hunt down Kony's rebels from their southern Sudan bases was entered into in 2002 and has been repeatedly extended. It is expected to be extended again having expired on December 31, 2004.When it is extended, Nankabirwa said on Friday, the protocol will include the SPLA, which is expected to take control of southern Sudan following a peace deal to be signed between the Khartoum government and the SPLA in Nairobi today.
Another government minister also spoke of SPLA's joining the fray with optimism.
Speaking at Butabika hospital on Friday, Mr Mike Mukula said that the Sudan peace deal will leave "Kony... an isolated case" to be defeated within this year.
The Sudan government had until recently supported the Kony-led Lord's Resistance Army rebels in return for Uganda's support of the SPLA.
Now after the peace deal between the Sudanese sides, Mukula, the state minister for health, said Kony would not be harboured in southern Sudan anymore.
Repeated efforts to get a comment from both the Sudanese government and SPLA failed.
A Sudanese government delegation led by the Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman met President Museveni in Rwakitura on Tuesday. Details of the meeting were not disclosed.Acting Foreign Minister Tom Butime had earlier said that the protocol had been renewed; meaning only signatures were missing to make it a reality.
Nankabirwa said the protocol's extension will happen despite the on-going effort to achieve a ceasefire in northern Uganda.
In June, the Ugandan government wrote to Khartoum asking for help to locate Kony, saying that the LRA chief was hiding in Nisitu, a place in southern Sudan that the Ugandan forces are not allowed to reach as per the protocol provisions.
Since launching its offensive codenamed Operation Iron Fist in March 2002, the UPDF has overrun several of the LRA bases in southern Sudan.
The war in northern Uganda has destroyed thousands of lives and a lot of property over the last 18 years.
Additional notes by Mercy Nalugo
� 2005 The Monitor Publications.
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn more._______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.
_______________________________________________ Ugandanet mailing list [email protected] http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet % UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

