Tororo residents boycott NRM day
By John Augustine Emojong
Jan 31, 2005

TORORO - Many residents of the district boycotted celebrations to mark the 19th anniversary of National Resistance Movement's on Wednesday. The Resident District Commissioner, Mr Dauda Yassin Kasibante, attributed the low attendance to workers who are on a sit-down strike over unpaid salaries.

"By January 25 in the morning, we were sure the celebrations had flopped. Civil workers went on a sit down strike, it was only my office and that of the DISO, which were operating. There were padlocks and roadblocks everywhere. But as we kept on consulting, we decided to celebrate the day. This is a mishap," Kasibante said.

The Municipality MP, Mr Yeri Ofwono, was disappointed by the small number of people who attended.

He said, "Since we started celebrating NRM days, I must say this has been the worst attended.”

© 2005 The Monitor Publications.