Obote 'not planning return soon'

Uganda's former President Milton Obote has told the BBC that he has no plans to return home soon because the country is still a "dictatorship".

After reports that Mr Obote would end his exile in Zambia next month, President Yoweri Museveni has said that he would face trial if he returned.

Mr Obote was deposed in a 1985 coup - a year before Mr Museveni seized power.

Presidential elections are due next year but Mr Obote, 88, said he was now too old to lead Uganda.

Civil war

"There is no question in my mind. I will go home - when questions about dictatorship have been removed," Mr Obote told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme, explaining that political parties could not compete in elections.

"I don't know if we can reach the position when you can ask me about going home."

Mr Museveni banned political parties but they may be allowed to operate again after a referendum in June.

"I now hear that Obote wants to return. They should tell him that he must answer for the crimes that were committed by his government. They murdered people in a deliberate way," Mr Museveni said at the weekend.

But Mr Obote denied responsibility for the deaths of civilians during the civil war which eventually brought Mr Museveni to power.

Supporters of Mr Museveni are currently campaigning for the constitution to be changed to allow him to stand in next year's elections after already serving two terms.

If parties are allowed to compete, Mr Obote said he would not be the candidate of his Uganda People's Congress.

"I've been there, I know how exacting it is and I don't want to do it again," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa/4433993.stm

Published: 2005/04/11 15:37:39 GMT

© BBC MMV