Just buy us all helicopters

Something is terribly and worryingly wrong with the NRM government. When Ministers announce their “well researched and thought through” policies, you feel like running out of your skin.

Now the Prime Minister and leader of government business is telling the gullible Ugandans and the ever receptive donor and international community, that it has failed to work on our roads to minimum standard levels, so they want to buy Land Cruisers for the “more equal animals” than the rest of us commoners!

Readers may remember that Uganda is one of those countries with the highest number of ministers (67) and where the majority of them are more of a liability than an asset to the common tax payers whose backs are breaking to maintain them.

If I may ask the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister, Prof. Apolo Nsibambi who announced this abusive and obscenely exploitative plan, how will the thousands of the public servants and the millions of the tax payers who pay for your luxuries, Sir, be able to drive their small cars and less durable vehicles across the gullies and trenches that we call roads? Maybe we buy helicopters for all of them Sir?

Now that the list of things our government has failed to solve is long, are we going to extend this approach across the board? OK, Mulago and other government hospitals hardly have enough drugs and medical equipment, so we take all our patients to foreign countries for treatment.

Because almost all primary school toilets under the UPE programme were poorly constructed, we buy mobile toilets for all primary schools.
Because the government has failed (or is it refused?) to fight corruption, then we give all public officers a corruption disincentive of say Shs10 million every month etc !

A government that openly accepts that it has failed to provide the minimum basic services to its citizenry has no moral authority to continue presiding over their leadership Hon. Nsibambi.

We pay taxes, you continuously and chronically borrow money (I hear on our behalf) to work on these roads, where does our money go?
The Prime Minister is better of telling us that the Land Cruisers are meant to “facilitate” ministers to mobilise for Mr Yoweri Museveni’s 5th term.

Frank Mutagubya
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Monitor, April 16, 2005.

Will corruption ever end in our dear country?

Recently, there was a screaming headline in The Red Pepper of April 8 saying “M7 Trashes Cheeye’s NSSF-Mugoya Report.”
The article said that after making several unsuccessful attempts to see the President, Mugoya finally managed to see him. And after a one-on-one with his Excellency, managed to convince him that Cheeye’s NSSF report was fake and that Cheeye in writing his report had been duped by Mugoya’s business rivals.

This is despite the fact that earlier, on the strength of this report, the President had taken the following actions:
He ordered the Prime Minister to transfer the NSSF from the Ministry of Gender to the Ministry of Finance.

He ordered the Ministry of Finance to suspend the NSSF board.
He ordered the suspension of the managing director Mr Leonard Mpuuma.
He instructed the Auditor General, the CID and the IGG to investigate the Nsimbe Housing Estate deal and all other NSSF projects with a criminal angle and if any irregularities or improprieties were discovered, prosecute the culprits.

There was an overwhelming support for the President’s actions from the public, judging from the comments one read in the press . The investigative bodies seem to have confirmed that the contents of the Cheeye report were indeed true.

Now we are told all that is to be reversed just because of a visit by Mugoya to State House. It took just this visit to convince the President to give the Nsimbe Estates deal the nod, thus throwing out of the window, Cheeye’s report, the Auditor General’s report and the CID findings.

What is really happening in this NSSF/ Mugoya thing?

Josky Tikada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Monitor, April 16, 2005.