Selfish business interests killing our country

Two recent events have reminded me of how predictable entrenched business interests are when it comes to blocking progress in order to maintain their unfair advantage.
The first of these events is the president's giving a go-ahead to the Nsimbe project. The second is the installation of the thermal power plant.

We m ust not forget how we got ourselves into the $30 million bill for thermal generators. During the Bujagali Dam saga, we were bombarded in the media with unspecific allegations of corruption and imprecise scares of environmental fallout. We had parliamentary probes, and spin after spin. The short of it is, the dam never got built, and now we have to contend with power cuts and increased costs.

So when I saw the circus around the NSSF Nsimbe project, I felt a strong sense of deja vu: Imprecise allegations, shrill voices with no facts, parliamentary probes, spin! The result? Well, if you think it is hard today finding a decent house in a decent area to buy, wait and see what it will be like five years from now!
When shall we stop? After we have totally mortgaged the entire country to business interests? What sort of country will our children find?
John Katende
Masaka