UPDF Rapists Show Creeping Problems

Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

Kitgum district Woman MP Akwero Odwong shocked the nation when she revealed to Parliament that UPDF soldiers went on rampage last month, gang-raped 15 women and girls, beat up the men, and stole property.

The story evoked painful memories of the marauding armies of past regimes that many thought they would never live through again.

That this act of mass barbarism took a month to be reported indicates the depth of the people's fear of the army.

The victims, the area political administrators, or the army leadership should have immediately reported an atrocity of this magnitude.

Instead, we see an attempt to cover up the crime.

We commend Ms Akwero for her courageous exposure of the crime.

We also caution the army that has reacted by arresting three soldiers on charges of attempted rape, theft, and torture of civilians.

We know from past behaviour that the three will face a kangaroo court martial in the bush, which will pronounce them guilty, and sentence them to die by firing squad. The sentence will be promptly executed in the belief that it will placate the victims, the nation, and the international community.

Even those who subscribe to death sentence would be uncomfortable with such summary executions.

While justice should be allowed to take its course, the UPDF would do well to address the broader problems that have allowed the monstrous behaviour that was witnessed in Kitgum last month.

The Kitgum incident shows that indiscipline is becoming a structural challenge for our army.

Human rights groups have written thick reports pointing out the increasing indiscipline within the UPDF.

They have cited summary executions, torture, rape and recruitment of children into the army.

The army has persistently dismissed the accusations as false.

It may well be that a few soiled fingers are being left to infect whole battalions, but blanket denials are as counter-productive as blanket accusations.

Years on the frontline, living like a destitute, without family, and witnessing first hand the routine disregard of human life can dehumanise even the sanest among us.

Our soldiers need help.

If they must fight a war, let it be a justified one, and as a last resort.

Let the huge defence budget that often feeds corrupt commanders give them a better lifestyle.

Relevant Links

Let them be counselled and treated psychologically.

Above, let those who commit crimes, get a fair trial.