Lokeris Decries Low Funding for Disarmament Exercise

Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

Agness Nandutu
Parliament

The State Minister in charge of Karamoja Affairs, Mr Peter Lokeris, has complained that the disarmament exercise in the area is defective.

Lokeris was on Wednesday part of the team headed by the Minister for General Duties in the Prime Minister's Office, Prof. Mondo Kagonyera, who were presenting the policy statement on the budget for the disarmament before the Parliament committee on Presidential and Foreign Affairs.

Subscribe to AllAfrica

He said of the Shs9 billion he asked for to oversee voluntary disarmament in Karamoja, only Shs92 million was approved.

"This is peanuts. It cannot even cover my movements in the area. Since the disarmament exercise is one of the priorities to be funded, I feel this money should be provided to us to get guns out of Karamoja," he said.

Lokeris told the committee that during a meeting of MPs from Karamoja with President Yoweri Museveni, it was resolved that he draws a budget to enable him be resident in the area to efficiently oversee the disarmament exercise.

Relevant Links

"It is important for me to be based in Karamoja to give assurance on the people's security when they hand in their guns," Lokeris said.

Mr Sammy Loote, the MP for Moroto Municipality, insisted that money should be allocated to allow Lokeris to camp in Karamoja.